starter wont stop running! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default starter wont stop running!

well, that freakin jeep is at it again. this time the starter wont disingage. i replaced the starter seloniod and it stopped it from ingaging when the jeep is running. but know wheni start it it wont disingage at all. i know that this may be an ignition problem. what causes this and what are the names of these parts so i can get the right ones?

you can lead people to the truth, but you cant make them understand it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2001, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: starter wont stop running!

Mine done the same thing one time. Turned out Advance Auto gave me a bad solenoid. I would start the jeep and the starter would continue to run. I would pull the coil wire to kill the jeep and then have to unhook the battery to stop the starter.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2001, 03:15 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically, whenever the proper solenoid terminal has power, it'll run the starter. What can happen is that you can get some feedback, depending on how many things are connected to the wire at the solenoid terminal, or some weird wiring thing, and possibly get some voltage (maybe even as low as 6 or 7 volts will fire the solenoid) and fire up that starter.

Check the wire that is feeding the "Starting" signal to the solenoid. You could have a weird signal or feedback going to the solenoid.

Or, of course, the soilenoid could be sticking or bad.

I had a similar oddity when I had put on a Jacobs ignition years ago - the jeep wouldn't shut off when I turned the key off - it was getting a feedback voltage through the alternator and kept the Jacobs ignition on!

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2001, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran into the same thing on a 77 wagoneer I used to have. Ran down the entire ignition before I bought a new starter. Took the old one apart and there was a busted spring attatched to the fork that throws the starting gear. The new/used starter solved the prob.

94YJ-just started
Old 03-23-2001, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i once seen a buddy of mine bash the darn thing with a hammer and it did disengage. good thing to cause we had to drive 300 miles back home. Needless to say he didn't turn the jeep off the whole way back.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 PM
snp32

Red face Additional starter/solenoid problems

From sitting, my battery went dead. I exchanged it and tried to start my 87' YJ. All I got was a faint click. During some previous maintenance, my friend said that he could see sparks at the starter solenoid and suggested that I replace it. I bought a new one and had it waiting to install. Well, when this new battery wouldn't turn over the engine, I figured that it was time to change out the solenoid. I swapped them out, but when I tried to start the engine, it continued to turn over. I had to pull the ground cable off of the battery to get it to stop. Upon reading some of the other discussions, I gave the solenoid a loving tap with a ratchet and tried again. The jeep started fine and I went for a little test ride. When I got back, I turned it off and restarted. Well, it did it again. The starter was engaged with the engine running. Does this sound like my new solenoid is bad, or could the starter be going? The starter is about 5 - 6 years old. The only engine mods that I have done to this stock 87' w/ a 258 is a Motorcraft 2150 along with an HEI set up.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
snp32

Unhappy Starter / Solenoid Problems

From sitting, my battery went dead. I exchanged it and tried to start my 87' YJ. All I got was a faint click. During some previous maintenance, my friend said that he could see sparks at the starter solenoid and suggested that I replace it. I bought a new one and had it waiting to install. Well, when this new battery wouldn't turn over the engine, I figured that it was time to change out the solenoid. I swapped them out, but when I tried to start the engine, it continued to turn over. I had to pull the ground cable off of the battery to get it to stop. Upon reading some of the other discussions, I gave the solenoid a loving tap with a ratchet and tried again. The jeep started fine and I went for a little test ride. When I got back, I turned it off and restarted. Well, it did it again. The starter was engaged with the engine running. Does this sound like my new solenoid is bad, or could the starter be going? The starter is about 5 - 6 years old. The only engine mods that I have done to this stock 87' w/ a 258 is a Motorcraft 2150 along with an HEI set up.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

Sparks from the solenoid can be from a loose ground/power connection. Doesn't mean it needs replaced.

A faint clicking from a starter is often caused by a loose or corroded connection.

You could try swapping the old solenoid back onto the starter and see what kind of performance you get. Make sure all the connections are solid. Plus, make sure the mechanical connection between the solenoid and the starter can move freely. Some times if the solenoid is installed in a pinch, it won't let the starter's bendix return "home'.

it's just a though...all it will take is a little time.....

did you bench test the starter?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

If your '87 has a Ford-style solenoid on the fender, the starter can't stay engaged without it. Some starters with a solenoid mounted to the side that makes the electrical connection and engage the starter drive can get themselves locked into engagement, but only if something else goes wrong in the starter.

My first guess would be that you got a poor quality solenoid, but here's a test. Start it and if the starter keeps running, administer a tap to the solenoid and see if it drops out.

Then do it again but disconnect the battery to stop the starter. Then reconnect the battery, without the tap, and see if the starter starts cranking.

Then do it one more time but just pull the one or two small wires off the solenoid.

If the solenoid contacts are welding themselves together, nothing you do with the electrics will correct the problem, but giving it a rap should disengage it whether the battery is connected or not.

If the starter does not re-engage after disconnecting the battery, we know that the problem is electrical in nature. If pulling the small wires off the solenoid shuts off the starter, we know that current is getting to the solenoid coil when it shouldn't be.

And one more thing; could it be that the starter is staying engaged but the motor isn't actually running, its just being spun by the engine? In that case, disconnecting the battery is killing the engine, and when it stops the starter disengages. If that's what's happening, your problem is indeed a bad starter, or at least, bad starter drive.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 09-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Does your YJ have a Ford-type solenoid on the fender, or one mounted on the starter motor?

And it's a bad practice to have two threads running on the same problem. I'm going to try using my mighty Mod powers to combine the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement