4.0 replacing a 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2000, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

scottgp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.0 replacing a 258

I read an article on rockcrawler.com about swapping in the 4.0 out of a cherokee. Does anyone have any experience with this. Any help would be appreciated. (My wife would really like to get my brother's 82 CJ-7 out of the driveway after two years). I found a 93 cherokee 4.0 with everything minus starter and Alt. for $750. Seems like a good deal. And I win the $50.00 bet with my wife.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2000, 12:15 AM
Addict

SonoraBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4.0 replacing a 258

I am in the middle of the very same project. The missing starter is going to cost a bit. I had to replace one on my Cherokee. Wow.

The main problem that I have run into is the CPS. (Crank position sensor) Originally, they are mounted in the bellhousing and pick up off the flywheel. I am going with the Mopar dampener set up. The CPS is mounted up front and picks up off of the dampener. It runs about $180. I understand that HESCO has a kit available for this that includes a mounting bracket and I don't know what else. Advanced Adapters makes a bellhousing for about $350 that is already set up for the CPS.

The other thing you need to do is buy a wrangler water pump. This will put the fan in the original CJ position. The Cherokee fan is offset.

$750 is not bad. Make sure you get the wiring harness. I have one with mine, but I did some checking. Mopar wants $630 for the harness. I have not yet found an aftermarket company that makes one.

This is as far as I have gotten. I am checking into fuel pumps right now.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-18-2000, 06:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was told that painless wiring makes a custom wiring harness for this swap with a wiring diagram and jumper conections to bypass the emmissions stuff without confusing the computer.

Old 03-18-2000, 10:34 AM
Addict

SonoraBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to someone at Painless. They told me they did not make a wiring harness for this.

Old 03-18-2000, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know, Mopar Performance is the only source for a stand alone harness for the swap. The new 2000 catalog now shows the harness, crank sensor and front mounting plate, fuel pump and PCM available separately now! You should be able to use the original 258 starter, flywheel, alternator, waterpump, p.s. pump etc. if you use the Mopar front crank pickup instead of the bellhousing type off the XJ. You will have to trim off the XJ intake manifold power steering mounting bosses in some cases if your XJ engine is a '96 or newer. There is one hole on the drivers side of the block that has a different thread size than the 4.2, you will need to get a metric bolt (I believe it is 12mm, Japanese thread pitch) and open up the hole in the CJ engine bracket to fit it. It otherwise is a direct bolt in.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 03-18-2000, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I think that i will get a hilift when I win the bet.
Scott

Old 03-20-2000, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

Just talked to him and he is interested. He would like to take this chance to replace the t-5 tranny in his 82 or 83 CJ-7 with another munual gearbox. He will be on the road most often but will use it off road as well. His CJ is stock. I know he does not have dana 44's but am unsure which diff's he does have. I think he is running 33's.

Can someone suggest a suitable tranny that would bolt up to the CJ and the 4.0.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-21-2000, 06:46 AM
Journeyman

YJBrian is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are loking for a wiring harness try this link. They offer 4.0 conversion harnesses.

http://www.customjeep.com/

YJBrian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement