How can I convert CJ7 to power brakes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2000, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How can I convert CJ7 to power brakes?

I've got an '85 CJ7 with manual brakes and I would like to convert them to power brakes. Whatl do I need? I know I will need the brake booster and power brake master cylinder. What else would I need to do? Does the linkage for the brake pedal hook up the same? Where should I attach the vacume line from the booster. If you can tell me anything else I should know it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2000, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How can I convert CJ7 to power brakes?

This is not much help but maybe this will jog someones mind.
but if I had to do it I would go to a bigger power brake booster.
I think we had a post on this before or I read it in a magizine
can we help this guy please.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-06-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe this will help.

http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/HydroBoost.htm

Good luck.

Cinquej@remltd.com
Old 03-06-2000, 09:59 AM
utahjeepr

The easiest way to do this would be to add stock CJ power brake components to your Jeep. Another option would be to use a GM dual diaphragm booster. There are a couple places offering kits to do the GM swap. I think Off Again and ORU offer them, I'll put links below for contact info. They can at least help with info on the swap. The limited space in that area does not allow the use of a big diameter booster. I'm not sure, but I believe the push rod has to be modified to do the GM swap. I would recommend using a vacuum reservoir. That way if the engine dies (on a steep climb, etc) you will still have power brakes. The booster hooks up to manifold vacuum.

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/

http://www.offagain.com/

My other car is a BULLDOZER
Old 03-07-2000, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the GM power brake booster and it worked out great. There are a few problems I had installing it. I used an 85 booster out of a chevy impala (rebuilt unit from advance auto for about $100). The brake rod was kinda tough to weld because you have to take care not to over heat the booster. The booster hit the steering shaft so I had to move the whole brake bracket assembly up alittle ( you might not need to do this because mine was mounted to low since the previous owner messed up it's location on the fiberglass body). The mounting bracket needed to be elongated altittle to mate up to the new booster. Vacume wasn't a problem even with 226 duration cam in the 401, it has stalled going down the road and there is plenty of juice left in the booster. In the end it was all worth it. The jeep has amazing stopping power and good pedal feel.

78 CJ-7/401/TH400/Quadratrac/35" BFG AT'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement