cj5 vs cj7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2001, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default cj5 vs cj7

I've got a few folks who are selling jeeps down here. one's a 77 cj5 and the other's a 78 cj7. i'm looking for a mild build up (say, lift, 33's, good axles and lockers). what are the pros and cons of the 5 and 7? i've been told that the only difference is length, and they both have the inline 6, so thats not a big deal. any advice or discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2001, 08:47 PM
Addict

Dana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cj5 vs cj7

CJ7: longer, more room for the driver (could be important if you're a big guy) and supplies, possibly less twitchy at highway speeds, extra length may help in some rockcrawling situations, longer driveshaft means less angle problems with a lift.

CJ5: shorter. tight fit for big guys, more manuverable in tight spots, shorter length may help in some other rockcrawling situations, better looking (IMHO) "classic Jeep" appearance.

Me, I prefer (and own) a CJ5, but if I'd found a good 7 instead of a 5 I'd probably be happy with that, too.

-Dana

The dinosours died because they didn't have a space program!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i have driven my friends cj5, but it is a willys 1960 cj5. it IS TIGHT for a 6'2" 230 pound guy like me. those looks are killer though. but i have been told that around 1970 or 72 they made the cj5 bigger. possibly to fit larger engines? eitherway, if the 72-78 ones are slightly longer, that would matter. can anybody tell me if this is true?

Old 01-23-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you are correct that the cj5 was lenghtened in '72 by 4 inches but the extra lenght was achieved by adding 4 inches to the fenders allowing for an easier fit of a v8. You may not have to ambitious plans for it right now but if you ever change your mind you will find the 7 a lot easier to fit an automatic or a nv-4500 5 speed. Also quiete a few of the wrangler parts such as half doors can be used on the 7 and not on the 5. Both have pros and cons off-road as was already mentioned but the 7 is a whole lot more comfortable on or off road everything else being equal. The five definately has the cool factor going for it. Just remember that you can always tell the driver of a 5 apart from the rest because he is the one with a bruised right hip. And yes I drive a 7. Good luck either way you would still have the one and the only real jeep.

cj7,258,t5,dana 300,44's w 4.56's detroit and lockrite,33 12-50's, warn 8274r
Old 01-24-2001, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I own a 1975 CJ-5, 1980 CJ-5 and a 1995 Wrangler. The cool factor of a CJ-5 is second to none. Parts are easier to swap in for a CJ-7 but to pick from older Jeeps I prefer the CJ5.

Old 01-24-2001, 04:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a t-18 may have been avilable in the 5 not sure. the t-18 is a really beefe 4 speed withe either a 4.** or 6.** low, either way really nice, it's a 4 speed and worth a fair amount, if either have it it may be worth it. Jeep didn't offer hard tops for cj-5's in those years so they are usually custom deals that may be something to consider, cj-7's can use wrangler tops and doors.
barrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

Old 01-24-2001, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you are a really big guy I wouldn't worry about the size differance between the CJ-5 and the CJ-7 and being that you are buying an older used vehicle I would be mostly concerned with getting the best Jeep of the two.

Old 01-24-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go with the cj7!!!!! i use to own a 76 cj5. i did a frame off resto. it was great. but i sold it to get a cj7. why?? here is why. it was to short not for me sitting in it but if you wnat to put a lift and possibably a bigger tranny. your driveshaft angles will be too much and you will end up with a 12 inch drive shaft. i only had a 3 inch sus lift. i got a cv driveshaft instead of droping the tcase. my jeeps are used for everything. not just the trail. so i wanted a 5 speed. but if your only intrested in driveing 60 mph. then you wouldnt want a 5 speed tranny. you can fit more girls in a cj7 too.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Old 01-24-2001, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I own a CJ5, I don't have a problem getting in or out, other then ocasionally catching my sleeve on the door striker, But I feel it has no advantages over a cj7, and a lot of disadvantages. Biggest disadvantage is stability, especially on steep climbs, and desents. I am always lifting the front or rear tires off the ground. 10 inches of wheelbase helps a lot, and really won't hurt you on tight trails. Get a CJ7 or Wrangler.

Ray

Old 01-25-2001, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

had cj 5 for 16+ yrs now own cj7 past 3 would never go back unless was strictly for HARD CORE wheelin or racing or just putt'in round close to home no top. M.O.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement