Hobart Handler 175 MIG Welder, Will I be happy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hobart Handler 175 MIG Welder, Will I be happy?

I bought a welder tonight. I didn't do a huge amount of research, so I am questioning my purchase. I can always return this one. Did I make a good purchase?
Hobart 175Amp Mig Welder
The kit includes a rolling stand with tank holder gas line regulator and some flux-core wire. There are only 4 settings for thickness(Amps). It has a 30% duty cycle and looks like it will weld 3/16" material.

Does anyone else have this unit? Should I get something else? It was $649 before tax.

Thanks,
Tom

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2001, 12:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ricochet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hobart Handler 175 MIG Welder, Will I be happy?

a 175 amp mig with gas will weld thicker than 3/16". A buddy has a Hobart, and loves it. I don't know about the price.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-11-2001, 12:33 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Doug has this unit, loves it last I heard. Decent price, question is, are YOU happy with it?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Old 01-11-2001, 09:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am happy with the way it looks and the items that were included. The price isn't bad for just walking in and buying it off the floor. The question is will it weld everything I could ever imagine? I don't ever want to buy another welder.

Thanks,
Tom

PS I can weld pretty well with a Stick so this should be easy.....

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Old 01-11-2001, 09:41 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard some positive stuff about it, in my search for a welder myself. I think it'll do 1/4" in a single pass if I remember right, anything more and you can use a stick. As far as body metal goes, you'll be glad you have it, it won't heat up much and should last a long time. I'm going a little heavier because I'd like to be able to weld 3/8" in a single pass, for fabricating bumpers, roll bars, and who knows what else. I'm using a Millermatic 185 now, which is my brother's, but it starts at about $1,100, so I think you got a good deal. Did you get the auto darkening helmet with it (I know it is extra)? It'll make welding so enjoyable, you forget you're wearing it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Old 01-11-2001, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom,

I have the 175 and am very pleased with it. Since buying it, however, I have learned some things that may have made me make a different choice in the beginning.

Welding aluminum is different from welding steel. I do a lot of aluminum work and knew that the 175 would handle aluminum if I needed to do it. What I didn't realize was the cost of converting the 175 to an aluminum welder.

Wire is pushed through the wire feed welders. Key word here is PUSHED. The gun is several feet long and the wire has to be pushed through the entire length. You can put a roll of aluminum wire in the 175, change the gas to pure argon, and weld aluminum. Sounds simple, BUT IT ISN'T!

As the welder operates heat from the weld is transmitted back toward the roll of wire. With steel wire this isn't a problem. The aluminum bends so easily that any heat that softens the wire or any curves or kinks in the gun will cause the aluminum wire to bend, foul up and quit feeding.

Solution: A spool gun that mounts the aluminum spool very close to the welding tip and doesn't have any curves or kinks to stop the aluminum wire from feeding. Works very well. The problem is the cost. The spool gun itself is between $300 and $400, and it doesn't stop there. The 175 in it's stock form will not power the spool gun. Another $200 or so is necessary to make the 175 work with the spool gun.

Another solution. If you may do any appreciable amount of aluminum welding, the next welder up the Hobart line is the 210. It is really more of a commercial welder than the 175. Longer duty cycle, weld a bit heavier steel, but more importantly, it is already set up for the spool gun. You still have to buy the spool gun, but you don't have to buy the adapter.

Cyberweld sells the 210 WITH the 185 spool gun for $1199, and that's delivered free to your house by 2nd day, and no tax. $899 without the spool gun.

Check out http://209.41.55.91/index.html AAA Welding Supply and http://www.cyberweld.com Cyberweld. Both have good prices, 2nd day free delivery and no sales tax.

I bought my 175 through another .com welding supply place in New Jersey. Got the free delivery etc, but paid more for it than the two above .com's.

Old 01-11-2001, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 230v Millermatic 172, which will weld up to 1/4 single pass. I have welded extensively with aluminum and have had very few problems. I really don't think it is necessary to use a spool gun unless you are welding aluminum exclusively and for long hours. for most jobs the standard gun will work. I welded an entire aluminum man-basket for a man-lift and only had two problems with wire.

I purchased the unit for 550.00 and am very satisfied.
Mizu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.