Make my own trailer...axle?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2000, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Make my own trailer...axle??

You all got me to thinking...I bet I could make my own trailer for far less than the $700 for those military trailers...I've got a few spare jeep wheels/tires laying around here. I could probably pick up an AMC 20 pretty cheap...find some old springs somewhere...etc.

Would it work to run a drive axle as a trailer axle (could I run an unmodified AMC 20 under a trailer?). What would I want to remove from it??? Does it need the gears inside to remain in one piece? Could I just pull the gears and run it with just the carrier inside? Whaddya all think?
Deano

p.s. anyone got an unloved AMC 20 laying around in the midwest that they don't want any longer???

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2000, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Make my own trailer...axle??

Deano,
Yes you can, just remove the ring gear and leave the pinion with the bearings in to fill in the hole in the front. (provided you are using an AMC 20 rear)It would still be a good idea to put some lube in with the carrier and bearing assembly tho. The most money I spent on my trailer was to purchase the gangbox to keep my stuff in, later.

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2000, 12:24 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

Why a Model 20 rear? Why not use front spindles and hubs? I bought an extra set of spindles and
hubs with the intent of building a trailer axle from them. The spindles could be welded to a piece of
pipe or tubing, or make flanges and bolt the hubs on. In my case that means everything will use the
same bearings and seals (front hubs, Summers Bros. full floating rear axle and trailer) so I only need to
keep one set of spare bearings and seals on hand. Now if I only had one more for a spare tire mount.

Old 02-26-2000, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A model 20 rear would be convenient for a number of reasons:
1. It certainly would be strong enough for my purposes
2. They are plentiful, and relatively cheap, especially if I could find one lying around unused.
3. They have the right bolt pattern
4. There would be no question that the geometry was correct (i.e., no problems welding on the spindles crooked, etc.)
5. They would probably be stronger than pipe or tubing with welded on spindles.
6. I could possibly get an AMC 20 with a locker or other desireable parts to swap into my jeep's rear end.
7. I'm quasi-familiar with the 20...
8. Jeep trailer...jeep axle!
9. I didn't have any better ideas.
10. Finding an old axle would probably be cheaper and easier than going the spindle & hubs route...unless you know something I don't...

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?
Old 02-26-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I might have violated all the laws of physics, mechanics, etc., but my trailer has been supported by a completely still-assembled 9" Ford rear differential for the last 15 years and has hauled tons of building supplies/tools/camping gear/etc. without any problems. My next trailer (not for off roading) is being set on a Dodge minivan rear ($65 with wheels/tires and 2 spares is the going rate in this area).

Old 02-26-2000, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't want to spend to $700 for a military trailer, but they look cool. I will eventually build my own trailer. I was going to use my model 20 after I swap in some new axles (probably Scouts). I like the idea of the 20 being slightly narrower than Scout axles for the trailer. I was actually thinking about using a rusted Jeep body and cut the rear off and make it into a trailer to match the same body shape as my Jeep. 4wd hardware had a fiberglass version like this that they were experimenting with, but I don't know what happened to it. I think when I go over to their store to pick up my new gas I think I'll ask them about it. I think they were talking about selling it in kit form.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2000, 02:02 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

My reasoning was a little different with the spindles and hubs.

1. easier to change bearings and seals, no pressing on/off and don't have to pull the differential
2. no big pumpkin in the way (lower floor and more ground clearance
3. could drop the center of axle for even lower floor
4. the tubing would be a lot stronger than the Model 20 thin tubes (that's their big weakness other than
the two piece axles)
5. bolting on the flanges would allow shimming the toe in/camber but I think I can weld it right
6. I only gave $40 for the spindles and hubs so they were cheap too
7. don't have to pull the heavy rear axle around
8. I don't need to reinforce my redneck status by pulling a trailer built out of an old rear axle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
9. no oil leaks

They are Jeep spindles and hubs, actually the hubs I bought are on my Jeep now with new rotors. Since
I had the spare hubs, I thought ahead and took them down to have the new rotors installed and turned.
I also put the new bearings and seals in ahead of time. Then when I was ready, I put new pads on the
front and just swapped out the rebuilt hubs and new rotors for the old ones. No waiting on the machine
shop.

BTW if you remove the ring gear as suggested, how do the bearings get oil?

Old 02-26-2000, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ron,
Grant you, there won't be a gear with teeth on it to pick up oil and sling it around, but if the oil level is kept high, the carrier itself will sling sufficient oil around to lube the bearings, later.

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?
Old 02-26-2000, 04:10 PM
Pooh-Bah

Brownbagg is an unknown quantity at this point

I build me a trailer using brand new parts. new steel,angle iron. one inch tubing from local steel suppier, new axle, hubs, spindle and spare tire carrier from northern equipment. four fairly new rims and tires from yard.

it is a 4x8 with steel sheet bottom and 18 inch steel walls with wire mesh tail gate. 15 inch tire, light and two inch hitch. Did all welding and cutting myself. gallon of safety yellow to match jeep

total price $417.33

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Old 02-28-2000, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

IDK about you in the US, but here in Norway the army have these surplus sales...
A friend of mine bought 4 (they where bundled up in packages of 4 ..)
"heavy gun" carriers. Now, the carrier is rated 2,5 tons. After i removed all the "gun stuff" (no, the gun wasn'r part of the deal ...), i have a perfect trailer axle. It has 5-on-5,5 wheel mounting, a 235/75-15 wheel fits and width between tires is about 1 meter. Perfect for a (small) off-road trailer.

And my friend payed about $ 50 a piece for the carriers ....

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<per.jenssen@sensonor.no>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement