Easy check for worn out Motor Mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2001, 09:11 PM
Addict

JeepinDoberman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easy check for worn out Motor Mounts

Anybody have any quick easy checks to make sure motor mounts are still good?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2001, 10:47 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Easy check for worn out Motor Mounts

1. Motor rocking side to side under acceleration.
2. Visiable tears in the motor mount.
3. Hearing a loud metalic thud or knock when going into gear, forward or reverse from the engine bay.
4. Oil spewing from the dipstick tube.
5. And of course, our favorite, the engine not sitting level between the frame rails... kind of a dead give away.

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-07-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You forgot one Larry, when the fan tries to eat the radiator, you know you probably have weak motor mounts! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
Old 01-08-2001, 07:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an old Buick. I was doing a "brake stand" in a rival high school's parking lot one night. 40 foot posi strips....nice. Then I saw sparks coming from side of hood. Next day opened hood and saw two parrellel lines gouged into underside of hood right above power steering pump pulley. Huh? So had my mother put parking brake on, plant foot on brake, put into drive, give it gas. That big ole 425 came up out of the engine compartment about a foot. Woo! I was standing next to it, but the better reaction was from my mother. 2x4 between oil pan and cross member for motor mount changes. Ps, that was a 1963 Buick Wildcat conv. with a Dynaflow 2 speed semi-automatic. When you put it into low it went in no matter how fast you were going. 0 to 60 in 8 seconds. High test gas only. Black w/ white roof, red interior. It was my first but my dad liked it alot.

Old 01-08-2001, 11:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Boy....it's been a while since I gazed upon a Wildcat mill. Those Boo-Ahs really had the cubic inches in them days. Interestingly enough, the early Boos had a totally enclosed driveline/torque tube behind the Dyna Flo. When I was a kid working weekends in a wrecking yard I would just cringe when a customer came in and wanted a Dyna Flo. Thirty-two bolts JUST in the torque converter, and the tranny weighed 250 at least. We would often "spit" the engines out of junk cars by grabbing them by the rear bumper and hoisting srtraight up with the crane, then let them drop about six feet and then slam on the line brake. The engines would often just keep going and come out through the grille(No radiator was in place)if the engine mounts were shot; which was usually the case. Imagine a straight eight Buick AND a Dyna Flo tranny hooked together.....WOT A HUNK OF IRON that was. Enough for three Toyotas.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2001, 04:25 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Talked to a guy once that had a straight "8" and Dyna flow in a turtle back('53 ?). He said it was a real dog off the line but 40 to 100 was just a couple of seconds. Man with a different tranny, that low end grunt musta been wild. A four speed would of ended up with high quality drive line breakage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.