distributor cap vent - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2001, 03:48 PM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default distributor cap vent

i just bought the stuff for the TR upgrade and the distributor cap (from NAPA) has a vent in the top of it. i have never heard of this before, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. TR, you seem to be the authority figure on this. is this necessary or should it be capped to keep out the moisture?

thanks all
shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2001, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: distributor cap vent

most caps do, if you want it water proofed pop/ cut it off and put a vent line on it, run it to the highest point or snorkle, also to keep it waterproof add a bead of siliocone around the bottom.
BarrelRoll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim !

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2001, 07:45 PM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point

Barrell roll is right, you want to vent the cap specially if you seal it with silicon. This keeps it from sweating, run a tubing from the vent hole to a high point so the cap can breathe.
[GP'n[/b]

Old 01-02-2001, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The_Sandman_454 is an unknown quantity at this point

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> You could always put a nipple in the vent hole and hook it up to some form of air compressor to make a positive pressure system to keep the water out and to help clear the ionized air/ozone out of the cap. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought. Might have to play with it a bit to find the perfect pressure to use though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Old 01-03-2001, 02:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When TR made our setup he provided a nipple in the distributor body to attach a vacuum hose to. That way the ionized air is drawn out of the cap area. THEN you hook the inlet hose to the inside of the air cleaner. The vacuum nipple should be a very small bore. Like a welding tip from a wire welder with a bore of .025".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2001, 10:08 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

I'm all for BOTH a sucker and a blower for the distributor cap... let me explaine befor you all die laughing your ceder ends off.

1. A Blower... pressurize the cap with a small amout of PSI from an external soruce of clean air... I'd suggest this be selectable for water crossings to help keep moisture out of the cap. If not selectable, the fresh air would mix and decrease ionized crankcase vapors from making carbon trails in the inside of the cap.

2. A sucker... By installing a vacuum you can remove the crankcase vapors and reburn them. Clean up the atmosphere.. no downside.

3. I would install the blower at the top and the sucker on the bottom at the side of the cap... unless I could find a place in the housing to install it. Why, because the blower and the sucker being so placed causes the vapors to be expelled at the bottom of the distribuor. This draws the vapors AWAY from the high voltage and ionization area, decreasing the possiblitiy of arc and carbon trails and increasing reliabilty.

4. If you have the older LED style pointless, or points style ignition system, then you never read this post!

Safe Jeepin'

Larry
Old 01-03-2001, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point

My cap has no vent. I just looked at my local Canadian Tire (I'm in NB, Canada) and none there has a vent. I looked through the collection of traffic on this and I can't find any mention of venting other then one person mentioning moisture. My unit is currently waterproofed (sealed), so to verfify what is being said:
Drill a hole near the bottom of the cap adapter and add a small nipple. Do the same in my air cleaner. Run a line.
Drill a hole in my cap (and do the same thing every time I change it), add a nipple, and run a line up high somewhere on the firewall with a moisture trap (theres a LOT of water around here) of some sort for an intake.

What exactly would be the result of not doing this? My cap has been on for roughly 7-8000 miles and shows no signs of wear and tear inside (I just took it off and looked).

Deep in the backwoods of New Brunswick...

"Being responsible I will direct, and I will be responsible for nothing that I do not direct."
Old 01-03-2001, 12:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Only the high energy setups would need an ionization-removal airflow system. Otherwise it is just for water and moisture removal. You can drill and tap the bottom of the distributor casting itself and install a suction nipple for the vacuum line. The Ford caps usually have a ready-made vent that you can pipe to the air cleaner. When engines get real worn, they will sometimes cough up crankcase blow-by into the distributor. This will also help out in that case.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.