Header exhaust leak.... tips? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Header exhaust leak.... tips?

Put on a set of fenderwell headers and can't seem to get them to seal up. I've never used headers before, so I may be doing something basic wrong. I just bought a set of stock exhaust gaskets and some special header bolts and wrenched them down like the manifolds. Used the same torque specs and sequence. Anything I can do? I really hate the sound of the leak and would like to get this right. Can I double up the gaskets or use something else? Thanks for the tips
Brian

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2000, 02:05 PM
Pooh-Bah

GP'n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Header exhaust leak.... tips?

You should be using a metel filled Header gasket, not the stock exhaust manifold gasket. Then use the torque sequence for the headers. The double gasket will work for awhile but when it blows out you will have some very loose headers.
Check the face of the flnge that bolts to the head, it should be flat. also you should retorque the header bolts with the headers warm.
GP'n

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2000, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use header gaskets with high temp RTV on both sides. Torque the headers the best you can. Run the engine for about 5 min with no load. Torque again. Run the engine for 10 min. Torque again. Drive the jeep around the block. Torque again. Keep doing the retorque until the bolts quit tightening. It takes a while, but they eventually get there.

If the mufflers are hanging on the headers with no support, the vibration from hitting bumps will work on the bolts and try to loosen them up, too.

I've done the RTV and retorque thing on a few rigs and so far have zero header leaks.

Good luck!

Jason '87YJ
"If you didn't build it, it isn't yours . . ."
Old 11-27-2000, 03:05 PM
cj7jeep

Someone on the board suggested NAPA gaskets. They have held up really well. Oil leaking on the gaskets from the valve cover was one reason the gaskets went out. Also make sure the header mufflers are supported good, to keep the weight off of the headers.

Old 11-27-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The NAPA gaskets are made by Victor-Reinz, They are call Nitro seal, and are the last header gaskets you will have to buy. Carquest also carries Victor gaskets. Make sure you are sitting down when you ask the price, I think they where around $25 the last time I bought some,about a year ago. The high-temp silicone used to work very well for me. I used to use it with exhaust manifold gaskets instead of header gaskets, for some reason, I couldn't make that trick work with my 401, even though it worked flawless on my 304, still can't figure out why.

Thanks, Ray

Old 11-27-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had the same problems on my 304.. i FIGURED THIS OUT... they will never ever ever ever ever ever seal completely.. I went out and bought some high dollar gasket set and put alittle bead of sealant on them and installed.. the left side of the engine no leaks.. ahh.. good then the right side about a day later TICK TICK TICK TICK .. leaking like crazy.. well I let it do this for a month until I pulled my hair out and bought some high temp silcone again.. and listen I USED THE WHOLE thing on the header .. I swear I soaked it.. Let it dry and then installed and ran a bead around the whole thing twice.. ok its alittle overkill .. but the outcome.. IT STILL LEAKS.. I'm buying new headers.

<font color=blue> Muddynut</font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'79 CJ7 "Issues"-304-35s</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement