Autozone rebuilt engines - Any experience - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2000, 10:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Autozone rebuilt engines - Any experience

Hey -

I'm getting ready to pull the 360 in my Jeep and rebuild it. However, Autozone will sell me a rebuilt long block so cheap, I can't even see me doing it myself for that much - even if I counted zero dollars for my labor.

Autozone wants $1049 for a rebuilt long block, that includes the heads, cam, lifters, timing chain, etc. They weren't really sure if it came with the timing cover or not because of the AMC design. If it does not - no big deal, I just had mine off and it looked OK to me.

This is not some drag car, so I don't need some balanced and blueprinted engine with stud girdles and all that crap - I know I'm just getting something basic.

Have any of you had any good or bad experiences with these engines? And what do you think of the price? - Chuck

Chuck Hadley
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2000, 11:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Autozone rebuilt engines - Any experience

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The reason that discount auto stores can offer those engines so cheap is that they use "rebuilder quality" parts throughout. It is just "get by" quality, and that is about it. Don't expect anywhere near the life expectancy that the factory stock engine delivered. There is nothing quite so important to an AMC V8 as the timing chain cover, since it is the oil pump, and the achilles heel of the AMV V8. If you want good oil pressure, send your cover to Oregon to that rework outfit for rebuilding. They have it down to a technical science.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] This engine business is just like anything else, Chuck, you gets what you pays fer.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2000, 12:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point

i only have one experience with an engine i ordered for a friend form there last year.. it was a chevy 400..it came with 2 different heads..a 400 head on one side, and a 350 head on the other..that engine would have lasted about a year....just about the time the warranty was up...i sent it back and convinced him to have a race shop buid it for him..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
Old 02-11-2000, 01:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

Junk Yard Genius is an unknown quantity at this point

EVERY SINGLE DISCOUNT STORE IS SUPPLIED BY THE LOWEST BIDDER.

The rebuilder will cut corners every where they can to keep cost down so the bid is low.

The only dependable 'remanufactured' engines I have ever seen with at least factory quality standards and quality control is from the manufacturer.

GM called theirs TARGET engines.
NEW crate engines are VERY reasonable also. It's not like it used to be when the engine was as much as the body...
Check what a short block from Jeep or Chrysler, or who ever, will cost.
There is only one way to be sure when it comes in, tear it down and have a look...
If it looks good, Slick everything up with assembly lube and crank it back together.

If you decide to do your own, find out what crank, rods & piston kit and cam. lifters, valve springs, and intake kits are available from some place like Summit or PAW.
I am able to buy crank/ rods/ piston kits for less than it would take to prep the old ones.
It's a huge time saver also...

Good hunting, Aaron.

If a tree falls in the forrest, and there is no woman around to hear it, is the man still wrong?
Old 02-11-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get a good reman engine from a parts store if you know what you are buying. I bought an excellent engine from Pep Boys for my 280Z about eight years ago and it has performed very well. It was an ATK motor and came with a 36,000 mile warranty. But as CJ Dave said, there are motors of lesser quality out there. For that price my guess the one you are considering is one of those. The quality reman engines I have seen generally run $1500 to $1800.

Do your research and find out who is making good one's and who isn't. Then either order direct, as you often can do, or through a retailer who sells one of the good engines.

Old 02-11-2000, 02:32 PM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point

The master rebuild kit for your 360 is $389.99 from http://www.northernautoparts.com
Throw in $10 per cyl for boring, $50 for crank turning, $40 to have your old rods pressed onto the new pistons, $50 to dip
the block and magnaflux it if necessary (definitely dip the intake, $20ish), add $30 to the rebuild kit to swap in a decent cam
, $80 to get your seats ground and new valves installed on your heads and your set!! Set aside an evening or two to put it
together, that way you make sure it's done right. And you still have money to spare, spend the extra couple hundred bucks on an
aluminum intake. Or you could just go and buy the engine from autozone, it is definitely the easier and quicker route. Me, I just
like rebuilding blocks!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Old 02-11-2000, 03:44 PM
Pooh-Bah

Brownbagg is an unknown quantity at this point

i argee with v8jeep. the money not the issue. I just enjoy tearing down my own motors. seeing what damage.

but if you want a decent crate motor PAW has a decent. I do not go to autozone for anything, not even the time of day.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Old 02-11-2000, 03:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You know, Chuck, there are an unlimited number of arrangements that you can subscribe to. Like you have your engine all hot-tanked, the heads done, and the short block assembled. THEN you do all the painstaking coolie labor of putting up the long block and the intake and the front end, and so forth. Basically you farm out just the machine work. Saves YOU a lot of shop labor money, and you get a WAYYY better engine and you know that it is put up right.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] That's actually what my moonguys prefer since they are too busy swilling beer to take time to check crank clearances. They don't mind head bolts and stuff like that, and oh how they love to use that blue paint when that engine is all put together.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Old 02-11-2000, 05:32 PM
Addict

Alec78CJ is an unknown quantity at this point

The place where I work sells ATK reman. engines. There are different grades depending on how much you would like to spend.

I will use the SB 350 as an example:
the cheapest short block is $749, of course this has the most "re-used" parts
the moderate price is $989 and includes new pistons, rings, all bearings, cam, and most of the head parts (valves, springs, etc) are new
the one that runs $1129 is completely remanufactured with everything new
the one that runs $1429 is as above and comes with tin ware
$2249 is a brand new short block with all tin ware and intake, distributor, and all the necessary "stuff" to get it running.

You might want to check and ask all the questions you can before you order. That is of course if you choose this route.

Alec

Old 02-14-2000, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Word of warning on the Autozone engines. Last time I was there the had a huge sign up for their engines. There nicer one which was a long block with all the tin installed was prefilled with Mobil ONE. I love mobil but if you run a new motor with synthetic in it the rings will not properly seat, it's too slipery. Wait about 5000 miles before changing over.
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement