Axle tube sixe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2000, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Axle tube sixe

What is the diameter of the axle tubes on the Dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear. I'm building my own perches. Or is there an easy way to measure this?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2000, 03:45 PM
Addict

CJ money pit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axle tube sixe

According to my newly purchased vernier caliper ( I love buying new tools) the outer diameter of the Corp 20 and the Dana 30 on my CJ are both 2.5 inches outside diameter. As long as we're talking diameters and since it was sitting right there, my dana 44 axle has 2.75" OD axle tubes.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2000, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might want to double check if you're reading that caliper right. I have a section of Dana 44 tube sitting on my desk right now (makes a nice paper weight) and it measures about 3" OD (well 2.958" to be exact using my nice digital calipers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) That's not to say they didn't change to tube size over the years, but 2.5" seams real small....

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
tzeiger@excite.com
Old 11-08-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Only on this bbs...dare we ask why you've got a section of D44 axletube on your desk and a set of digital calipers handy? I'm laughing more about this than the gore in the urinal picture...

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:58 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

my rear dana 44 from a wagoneer is 2.75" too.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Old 11-09-2000, 05:39 PM
Addict

CJ money pit is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for this extraneous and totally unnecessary post, but this was bothering me; I just went out and checked again - Dana 44 from 79 Scout II is 2.75"; Dana 44 front from 78 Waggie measures out the same - 2.75" O.D.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Old 11-09-2000, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The axle tube piece I have is from widetrack Cherokee chiefs. 3" OD 3/8" wall. This was the donor for my flattie's front 44. I bet you the older axles ran 1/4" wall tubing that would explain the difference. I'll measure my '75 rear 44 tonight to settle this. As for why I have it sitting on my desk, no reason, just that I did the housing cuts at work. As for the digital calipers, I work for an engineering firm (I'm a mechanical engineer) so we have calipers hanging around to measure parts that were machined and such.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
tzeiger@excite.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement