Is there a fuel resistant form of silicone sealant - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Is there a fuel resistant form of silicone sealant

I am at work and leaving within the next 30 min. so I will need an answer soon. I am trying to find a form of fuel resistant silicone. I already have some black and super black silicone from NAPA but neither specifically mention a resistance to fuel. Will either of these work or do I need some special form of silicone. I have to use silicone, a regular gasket will not work.
THANX

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2000, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Is there a fuel resistant form of silicone sealant

If it's for automotive, it's fuel and oil resistant unless specified otherwise. Make sure if you are using silicone on your engine that the silicone is oxygen "sensor" safe. I have used clear silicone from the hardware store on my jeep and it is still holding after 11 years.
Mizu

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2000, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THANX a lot <font color=blue>MIZU</font color=blue>! Now if I could just get my business partner to show up punctially I could leave and repair my tank!@

Old 11-01-2000, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most automotive parts suppliers have tank repair kits in one form or another. They usually are a two part epoxy with some kind of steel or fiberglass mesh. They are similar to the muffler repair kits.
Mizu

Old 11-01-2000, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The majority of the auto RTV silicones out there plainly state that they are NOT compatible with gasoline. I have looked at every type I can find for one that is compatible with fuel and have found none. They may be oil resistant, but that is not necessarily the case with gasoline.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Old 11-01-2000, 10:11 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, It's called Seal All and it's made for gas tanks, among other things. I have found that a combination of Lab Metal and Seal All work wonders repairing a gas tank. If it's just a gasket type, just use the Seal All by itself.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Old 11-02-2000, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not repairing a hole, I am trying to make a seal around the fuel sending unit. It is not a stock sender, pickup, gas tank, anything (this rules out the o-ring). It is the JCWHITNEY 22-gallon replacement tank with an Autometer sender for a chevy and has five holes in the lid to screw it into the tank, these hole will not work with my tank without major fabwork and instead cause leaks, five of them, when full. With that said, does anyone have any suggestions of what to use to seal the sending unit, not the tank. I liked the idea of the epoxy but I will at some point in time need to replace the sending unit. Would just regular cork gasket material work? I have already put black RTV silicone on the autometer cork gasket, with five holes (leaks) in it, to attach it to the sender and more silicone on the tank to seal it to the cork gasket. I hope this will work, BUT, if someone has a better idea don't be shy. THANX

Old 11-02-2000, 06:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point

jb weld works wonders with what your weighing.
fuel resistant, fix the fuel tank and forget it
jeepgod just jerry-rigged his jeep just in the same gist.
(my new poetic responces)

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, FOR SALE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Old 11-02-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the idea of the JB WELD but isn't it permanent. I am trying to find something that I can remove in the future when the sender goes tits up.

Old 11-02-2000, 06:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be too worried about what will happen when you have to scrape the jb weld off. it will be so far into the future, you'llo probably need a new tank by then.. they are fairly reliaqble, and the jb can be chisled off. anything i do to my jeep i do with a 3 year plan... anytthing that will last 3 years on my jeep is good since i have to completely rebuild my jeep about that often anyway from the use(misuse?) it gets.

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, FOR SALE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement