Heat in YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2000, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Heat in YJ

Hi all. I think this is my second post on this forum. Great people in here. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice in to how I can get more heat in my truck - Its 40 degrees here in Jersey and it takes awhile for the Jeep to warm up. Are there any aftermarket parts I can install to get more heat than what's coming out now? If I change the thermostat to a hotter temp. will that help? The highest I've seen my temperature gauge go up to was around 170 degrees in the summer.

Utmost gratitude to everyone that replies.

Jim
mailto:info@jimserrano.com
http://www.jimserrano.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2000, 08:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heat in YJ

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One of the things that I have learned about certain vehicles is that many of them need some minor re-plumbing for good heater operation. The 304-360-401 family of V8 Jeep engines, for example is OVER-BYPASSED, and doesn't cool very well. At the same time, the puny Jeep heaters do not have enough poop to really take advantage of the heat that IS there. By changing to a different blower you can improve that quite a bit.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] GM full-size pickups which have the heater hose going direct to the radiator are iceboxes, and can be re-plumbed to return the water to the block and will be toasty warm. In our CJ SNOJEEP we built a center console riser with an extra heater built right into it to heat the floor of the Jeep. That, plus a 195 degree thermostat.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2000, 08:39 AM
Old Hand

Hank is an unknown quantity at this point

In the winter, I have always put a grill cover on my YJ to heat up the motor. Quadratec sells one that installs over the grill and you can adjust to let air through. My thermostat went bad on my YJ at 55K and it just stuck open. You might check that and get a dealer thermo to go back in...mine was in fact a 190 degree unit. I also put a tee connection in my heater hoses and run more line into the back of the jeep and hooked up a little heater that you wire up to the battery and basically has a fan and a heator core. I bought it from JC Whitney. It works great and keeps the Jeep fairly warm when it is in the 30's/40's.

As a rule though, there is just not enough air volume from the blower motor to work.

I now have a Chevy V6 in the jeep and it sends much warmer water to the cores. I also have replaced my factory core with an aftermarket version from Fedco, which is slightly larger and works a good bit better. Look at the plumbing and see if there is a better way - lots of folks cut into the radiator line to get a good dose of hot water. I am not sure how yours is plumbed...I only have experience with 4 cyl's and V8's in Jeeps. Hope that helps.

If you need part numbers or phone numbers email me!

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Old 10-09-2000, 04:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road

Installing a hotter thermostat will help.
Another wat to improve heating is to almost totally block off the cowl vent by removing the grill from the outside and plugging it and then removing the housing on the heater box that contains the flapper valve (or just removing the flapper and reinstalling the housing. This works because the air that is heated is now partially recirculated rather than all coming from the outside.

Jeepjohn
It's not what you bought,
it's what you built and
what you do with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement