Carter BBD Idle Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2000, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Carter BBD Idle Problems

On a suggestion from Aaron, I have re-written my Q:
Jeep: 1980 CJ-7, I6-258, Carter Carb, everything stock as far as I know - hard top, metal doors, 31" tires.

Problem: The I6 258 won't idle right. It seems to get worse as the engine gets hotter, and then it dies. I have to wait to restart it, like it's flooding.
After a few min. I can restart it, and get a repeat performance. Right now I have my idle speed cranked up to cover, but it still dies, eventually.
Highway running is good, as I drove it from California to Iowa last week.
I've tried cleaning out the Carb...now it is actually worse! :-( any other ideas?
I'm on a limited college budget, but is there anything I could replace the carter with that is less problematic? Cost is a factor, though, so I'm stuck, I guess.
I would like to get it running before it snows.
Thank you all for your help - I'm learning a lot.
Jed Smith

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2000, 12:40 PM
chasejeep7

Default Re: Carter BBD Idle Problems

There have been plenty of posts on this topic. I have one of these babies and after I rebuilt it the problem was solved. I bought mine with a bad idle to start with and it took me a few months to figure it out. The previous owner rebuilt the carb wrong as he used the wrong gasket; therefore cutting off crutial holes that were used at idle. It would run great down the road, but at a stop it would sufficate. If you are going the cheapest route I would rebuilt it, it took me about 6 hours to do it (my first time and only carb rebuild thus far). You might want to do a search in this bbs, there is a lot of stuff from previous users.

Things I would check/ do:
-intake leaks around the manifold?
-choke operation working?
-buy a new fuel filter (fuel pressure)
-get carb cleaner and a rebuild kit (about $20) or just carb cleaner ($2)

Hope this helps.

chase

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=white>7</font color=white>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another low dollar solution is to swap in a GM Rochester 2GC two barrel carb from a pre 81 (non-computer) GM V-6 or V-8. I'm convinced these work better worn out than any BBD did new. We were on a trailride two weeks ago with two CJ's that I helped swap these carbs onto (a 79 with a junkyard carb and an 86 with a fresh factory rebuild) Both operated flawlessly, even way off camber. Street performance was also better for both and they tell me that mileage didn't suffer either. For what its worth, the 79 also had the TR ignition mods, while the 86 had a GM HEI that I helped install. Either of these upgrades is well worth the small investment of time and money. I'm also going to have to change my bio soon, because I sold my Offy/Holley set-up because my 76 is getting a rochester, too. Good luck, email me if you need more info for the swap.

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
Old 10-07-2000, 02:27 PM
sas87yj

this site is valuable if pertains to your year
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm

i also had idle probs and ended up buying a rebuilt carter by holly at checker auto for $180. runs great ever since![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i also put on a new egr valve, cto sensor and temp sensor.

new vacuum lines where needed.

first i cleaned the idle pick-up tubes in the old carb but to no avail!

good luck!

also
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

Old 10-07-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tips.
These are the items I've bought new, last week: Fuel filter, fuel pump, 1 vacuum line, alternator, battery. Think I'm going to try cleaning the idle jets out one more time; if that doesn't work, maybe I'll rebuild it.
Last solution will be a new one/ swap for another carb.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Jed

Old 10-08-2000, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had alot of the same problems you are describing, I am switching to a Motorcraft 2100 tomorrow. But something I found checking on this problem is the charcoal in the canister is broken up and getting into your carb. I did not think that one up but it sure makes sense. After cleaning it out and it still acts blocked, it could be the canister, or goo in the gas tank, but mine was a worn throttle shaft so I am pulling it. Hopefully this Motorcraft is as good as they say. As for being on a budget I'll have about 75 bucks in the swap at finish, that is a rebuilt carb, adapter, and Air cleaner. I'll post an update when I get mine on.

Old 10-08-2000, 01:45 PM
Addict

Reitman is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the GM carb bolt up, or is an adaptor needed? Is this a Rochester carb? I had a Rochester 4 barrel on my Camaro and once that puppy was tuned, watch out.

Thanks
Sean

Old 10-08-2000, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wonder if all the old timers can tell us which is better - the Rochester Carb, or a Webber? Just looking up a lot of past posts on this BBS, seems like people like the Webber Carb...I might have to get one :-)
Jed

Jed Smith
'80 CJ-7/I6 258
Old 10-08-2000, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Rochester will bolt on to the 79 and newer BBd intake, then eliminate the bellcrank and connect the throttle cable directly to the carb ballstud. A universal cable bracket simplifies this for another $18 or you could fab something. As far as those Webers go, the guys that run em seem to like em, but they look very similar to the Holley/Webers used on domestic 4 cylinders in the 70's and early 80's. Those were fine until they got a few miles on em, the throttle shaft bushings went bad creating vaccuum leaks and making idle adj. nearly impossible. I'll admit I'm biased toward the Rochester, but I would look at a Ford 2 barrel(I believe they req. an adapter) before laying out the cash for a Weber (My opinion only, not trying to upset anyone...freedom of choice is what makes this country great)

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
Old 10-08-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an Edelbrock and it runs just fine. I have not had the problem you are describing but have had every other problem before I bought a new carb. Mine was over a decade old and the throttle body was worn out. I would suggest either the rebuild kit, or a guy on this list was trying to sell a near brand new (if not brand new0 Edel. 600 model # 1406. He bought fuel injection so needs it no more. He was asking $100 for it. The post was within the past 2-3 weeks tops.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, Read the Bio for the rest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement