Is a Dana 44 front axle w/ 5x4.5 lug pattern possible? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2000, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Is a Dana 44 front axle w/ 5x4.5 lug pattern possible?

I've penciled in plans to get a Warn XCL kit for my YJ, however the kit parts are custom made by Warn specifically for whatever drivetrain is on your Jeep (ie: a Jeep with Dana 44 axles won't use all the same parts as a Jeep with Dana 30/35 axles).

I want to get rid of my Dana 30 front and get something of Dana 44 strength or better, but don't want to buy new wheels, especially since I recently installed a Ford 8.8" rearend which retained the stock lug pattern.

So I'm wondering if I can get a stronger-than-Dana 30 axle anywhere that has a 5x4.5 lug pattern. This has to be done before an XCL install because I don't want the lift to be installed on the front end twice.

Any suggestions?

<font color=blue> -Dorian
88 YJ w/ multi-speed wipers</font>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2000, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Is a Dana 44 front axle w/ 5x4.5 lug pattern possible?

One big problem with that is your hubs on a 44 may be to big on the OD to be able to use the 4 1/2" bolt pattern. If that isn't a problem you could use a 44 from a 80 later (80-83 being the best, no vacume) wagoneer and just have your axles and rotors redrilled from 6 lug to your 5-4 1/2 wrangler pattern. I do beleive moser engineering can do this for a very reasonable fee, they could also tell you if it can be done safely. If not, A late 70s 3/4 ton ford axle would work also as a cantidate with a 5 on 5 1/2" pattern and have your rear axles redrilled to 5 1/2". New wheels would unfortanatly be required. Both of the 44s have the pumkins on the drivers side.

Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-2000, 09:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is an unknown quantity at this point

what you should be able to do is the use from the steering knuckle out of the dana 30, and put it on the dana 44. only problem might be the spindle length. my friend used his, but his dana 30 was a 84. but i dont see a change in them. a 30 is 30. i would go with a chevy dana 44 and cut it down. the radius arm (where you bolt the tie rods too) on a chevy is on top of the knuckle vs in the middle like the scouts. keep your steering up higher. especially with coils..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
Old 01-23-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK then. Is boring out the center hole on my wheels to make a hub fit through them an option?

<font color=blue> -Dorian
88 YJ w/ multi-speed wipers</font>
Old 01-23-2000, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How can you use a 2 1/2" inside diameter knuckle from a d30 on a 3" diameter tube on a d44. All the 44s that I can think of that have the pig on the drivers side have 3" di tubes. Drilling out the centers on your wheels is always a possibilty though one I wouldn't recommend unless its a VERY slight amount. Would be cheaper to just sell your wheels and buy new ones, safer too.
Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Old 01-23-2000, 04:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont have to use the knuckles.. everything else.. but im not sure on the spindle length. but we took everything off our dana 30 and stuck it on the 44.. since he had the warn internal spline hubs, brakes and all.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
Old 01-23-2000, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could just get a D44 front out of a 80's Grand Wagoneer and have it redrilled by Moser(only about 75 bucks) to be 5x4.5 and get hubs from Warn....I think that would be possible...not positive though

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
Old 01-24-2000, 02:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to go to the expense of getting the 44 front you should go with the 5x5.5 pattern and redrill the rear. Most 30's that I have seen fail do it outside anyhow. Taking a 44 and putting on 30 outers defeats the purpose in my view. The 290x joint is quite a bit weaker than the 297x that is on the 44. As far as the warn hubs for the 5x4.5 I would stay away from those. I have seen many examples of them grenading on the trail. The other day there was one laying in pieces on a rock at the first obstacle on our club's adopt-a-trail with a note that said "nice rock, thanks."

Just my thoughts, good luck.

Axlesupagain
98TJ D44's 4.56 detroits 96XJ 3.73 lockright

Old 01-24-2000, 02:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally I'd redrill or get adapters made to convert the rear to 5 on 5 1/2 so you can have front hubs that are strong and plentiful, but if you're hell bent on keeping your 5 on 4.5 you may want to look into having a dodge frontend from the np203 days cut down to your specs. the bolt pattern is small 5 but I'm not certain if it's exactly 5 on 4.5 but it's close. These front ends are notoriously lame but I know of a few guys who are running them hard with no troubles thanks to routine maintnance. Best of luck.
Travis

Old 01-24-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One big problem with those Dodge D44's from the 70's with the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern is that they have the passenger side drop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement