hydraulic lifter problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2000, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default hydraulic lifter problems

I am rebuilding an 84 CJ7(258 engine). I replaced the cam shaft and lifters. I started it up and I heard some chattering in my valve train so I adjusted the shims underneath the rocker arms and that was a mistake. Now I need to adjust my lifter preload again, but I can not get the lifters to spring back because I am assumming that there is hydraulic pressure in them. When I first put them in they were springy now they no have spring action and thus I cannot adjust the lifter preload. Is there anyway that I can make them have their spring action again like they had when I just put them in and before I started the jeep up?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2000, 09:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

rangerrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hydraulic lifter problems

bamajeep,are you sure they are locked up and not to tight in adjustment.lifters normally do not that unless damaged frozen,ect.if they really are in hydralic lock,you have to pull them and bleed them down ,with a punch that is rounded off on the tip.i am sorry,i can not think of anything else.ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks but I did not mean to say thay they were locked up.

Old 09-24-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since you usually need to remove the head to remove the lifters, you can't disassemble them to drain out the oil. If you can find the measurement needed for zero preload, you can then subtract 1/16" or so of shims to get the setting you need.

The lifters will bleed down, slowly, if kept under a load, such as that when the valve is held open. so be sure that the inner piston is fully up when you check them.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 09-24-2000, 02:33 PM
Old Hand

unhumen is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be wrong but to the best of my Knowledge the 258 does not have any adjustment for the valves the lifters are suppose to be full of oil and not springy and perhaps the chattering you heard was the lifters that were not full of oil ,infact I think you are suppose to fill them by soaking them in oil before Installing them
maybe I am getting old and senile but that is the way I read the manual,they are suppose to hold pressure If they bleed down too fast they need to be replaced.or if they collaps = loose the ability to hold pressure for a certain amount of time.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Old 09-24-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A factory Jeep straight six doesn't require valve adjustments, but when you mill the head or block, change the cam to one that has a smaller base circle, cut the valve seats, etc., you may find that an adjustment is necessary. Aftermarket cam companies sell shim kits, adjustable pushrods, and roller rockers that fit the six and require/allow adjustments to be made.

You don't need to prefill the lifters before installation, sometimes this will cause the valves to hold open until the oil thins out and lets the lifters bleed down. A coating of assembly lube is all that is required.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement