What Mods Should I do to My '95 Stock YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2000, 08:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Mods Should I do to My \'95 Stock YJ

Yesterday I just got a '95 YJ with a 4.0, Auto, open diffs 70,000 miles. I don't think it's ever been offroad, babied, nice! It doesn't even have tow hooks. The 1st mod I will make probally tomorow is to get some tow hooks. Later on I'll get a CB and Fog lights but after that I'm lost, I want some kind of limmited slip, lift and bigger tires,heavier duty parts, engine performance parts. What does everybody have? Will I need a D44 if I run 33's will a gear change be necessary, should I get 35's This jeep will go off road a fair amount mostly it mud (it's the mid west) and sometimes on rocks but will also be my daily driver, I have a short commute but have to drive long distiances to good wheeling.

Thanks,
Andy
Chicago

'95 YJ, I-6, Auto, Open Diffs, Soney stero, 215/75R15 GoodYear At's, Completly Stock, Getting tow hooks, Have big plans, lock right, 6" toatal lift 36 swampers, D44's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2000, 09:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sycho15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Mods Should I do to My \'95 Stock YJ

Those front D-30s should be able to take 33s. The rear D-35c is fairly reliable up to 33" tires with the stock drivetrain. 33" tires would work much nicer with lower gears (4.10) but you've got the automatic, so its not as big a deal. If you plan on getting into fairly hard-core stuff, I wouldn't waste any money on the stock axles. The drivetrain in your Jeep is very stout- dont worry about it any time soon with proper maintenance.

Hmmm...I play in the mud (befor the Puegot broke) and the best thing I ever did was to get 31x10.5 mud tires (go figure) and learn the good and bad points of the vehichle and where you want to go with it (which also means what your willing to sacrifice to get there.) When I put in a new tranny and x-case I will weld up the spider gears in both of my axles (I still run 31s and a 258 so I don't think mud and sand will break them. Also I have another Jeep for the daily driver and I'm building some D44 axles so I'll have a replacement shortly after the stock units break.) You could weld up your front D-30 since you'll only be using 4x4 off-road where you'll need it. A friend of mine has a SOA Sami on 31s with both axles welded "locked" and he drives it daily. A more aggresive mud tire (like his swampers) makes this more livable on the road since they spin easier while taking turns (less traction on the road...) I'd say look into swapping a Waggoneer's D44 or AMC-20 into the rear with the appropriate locker. If your satisfied with the 31s (and many people are, especially with dual lockers!) a 2.5" lift will give you an added edge and keep the tires from rubbing on the fenders. No driveline mods should be needed for this amount of lift. A winch would come in handy now that you feel comfortable taking the Jeep closer to its 'limits' and occasionally overstep them (real easy to do in mud!)

When you get into the sport more you will have to decide whether you want 33s, 35s, or bigger. For 33s you'll need 4" of lift and there are tons of lift kits to get you there. For 35s you'll need 7" of lift and there are a couple lift kits to get you there that cost big $$$ or you can put some 2.5" lift springs on top of your axles (35s will kill that fron D-30), and you'll have to make serious drivetain mods to make the rear drive-shaft angle work. For bigger tires, your looking into all of the above and body lifts, sheetmetal removal, and possibly bigger axles with appropriate gears and drivetrain modifications.

If you are doing all this 'wheeling in mud then chances are you also encounter a lot of water, more than just hood-deep stuff at that. A snorkel is easy to build with a minimal of tools and and money and can save you TONS of money in repair bills! I think maybe a dozen people on this board have one, myself included.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with sycho15. go get yourself a set of 31's and go have some fun. this way you can learn the vehicle and it will set you up as far as knowing how you want to build your jeep. i am anti dana35 so i wouldn's suggest putting a locker in one because if you plan on wheeling much you won't want to keep that axle long anyway so why wast your money on gears and lockers for it. as for the dana 30 it all depends on how far you build it but i'd drop it too. i'd find a 80's wagoneer and rob the axles from it. it will have a dana 44 front and either a dana 44 or amc model 20 rear. both will be fine. there are other upgrades as you go along but for now just figure out how you plan to use the vehicle and put on your "training tires" (31's) and have fun. in the mean time be saving your pennys for the mods you want to do and do it right the first time because it will be alot cheaper in the long run.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Old 09-14-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

one more thing go get a set of sway bar disconnects. this will help you greatly off road to begin with.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Old 09-14-2000, 11:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

H8monday is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you havent wasted any money yet on the stock axles, i can help you out a lot.
In order to get your geras and lockers, here is the no nonsense no wasted money route to take.
Search for a Ford 8.8 rear axle out of a 95 or newer Explorer, this will come with 3.73 gears, trac locl differential and rear disc brakes. It will also bolt up to your YJ with very little modification, basicaly new shock mounts and re work the brake lines.
Next get a D44 front axle from a Jeep grand Wagoneer (85 - 89 I know are the propper size and and configuration), this will need to be(but it is the most common configuration) 3.73 gear ratio. You will also get front locking hub capabilities and much stronger axle and steering.
The Ford 8.8 will cost about $600 the D44 will cost about $150. You will need to buy adapters for the 8.8 rear axle to match the 6 lug pattern in the front $120, and locking hubs if they arent on the junk yard D44 $80. With the locking hubs you will be able to install a Gearless or EZ locker if you wish and disconnect it on the street. Without the front locker you will probably have about $1100 invested to install both of your new axles.
You will at that point have:
3.73 Gear ratio
Locking front hubs
Stronger 6 bolt lug pattern
Rear disk brakes,
Trak Lock rear diff
and optional EZ locker front($300 more)
And 2 strong axles ready to take you into the future of your mods.
Turn around and sell your stock axles for probably $500 front, and $300 for a total of $800. Making your total investment about $300($600 w front locker). Thats less than rear discs alone cost.
For example if you were to build up your stock axles to the same level would cost well over $2500.
Warn locking hub kit $750 + extra needed parts $200= $950
Rear disc kit $650
Front and rear gears and lockers at least $1200
And you would still have the same weak axles.
I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE, LET MY PAIN BE YOUR GAIN.
Hope this helps.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Old 09-15-2000, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why not just use the rear from the same wagoneer that you got the fron from? the lug pattern would match and the wgoneer rear will be ALOT cheaper. besides the guy wants 33's or 35's and 3.73's are not low enough so you'll be changing the 8.8 gears too. don't get me wrong, i think the 8.8 is a good axle assy but it is too much $$$ compared to the amc 20 or the dana 44 from the back of a wag. and you would only have to find one donor vehicle. for spares too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
Old 09-15-2000, 01:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

H8monday is an unknown quantity at this point

Im just mapping out the best track for a set of high quality axles. As much as the M20 axle is good, I wouldnt use it as my starting point if I had my choices. The 8.8 also comes with a very aggressive Trac lock and Disc Brakes. The 3.73 will be addequate with an automatic and is a huge improvement over the 3.07 it probably has. Suer the gears and lockers will be part of future up grades, but for aprox $300 dollars to get into the same set up I am currently running with great results, just makes good sound sense to me. Your idea is also feasable and probably more affordable. But if I was to look back on that decission 2 years from know when i wanted Disc brakes and an even stronger rear axle, I would be kicking myself in the butt for not just doing it once, very affordably at the start. The 8.8 has 31 splines, 3 1/2" thick axle tubes, 1.36" axle shafts, etc. But the disc brakes is the clincher in my book. And I can also tell you from experience the swaps on both axles is very simple. Still this is only my opinion.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
I take my Jeep "On the Rocks",usually "With a Splash of Addrenalin"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.