frame straightening-how much??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2000, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

CJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default frame straightening-how much???

does anybody have an idea about how much it would cost to straighten the front end of a cj? I ran mine into a tree about a year ago and didn't realize how much it twisted the front end. I think it is mostly just the part between the bumper and the front axle. I figure you rock crawlers may have had this problem

cjay

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2000, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: frame straightening-how much???

it is costly....depending on the type of bend in the frame, it may be cheaper for a new frame... the cj frame is very weak where you bent it... look at what mine looked like on the site below. if you do keep that frame, MORE sells plates that weld on to the frnot of the frame rails that should add a lot of strength

~~Elusive~~
tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie safaried, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj, 4.0, dana 44, nv3550
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: frame straightening-how much???

I have had work done by a frame guy that has a minimum charge to get on his rack and get set up for pulls. It was about 350, last time I was there. I have noticed though, that since I have been a regular customer, he has slacked some, on the cost. I have even had a freebie. The minimum cost will usually take care of any frame pulls that I have needed.
BTW, there is no magic to frame straightening. You could accomplish the same thing at home, if you were doing a rebuild, and the frame was loose, and you have a 'porta-power'. I have built several frames (both Jeep and hot-rod) from scratch, and straightened bent stockers. If you have a simple 'diamond', you can use a sturdy chain and tree, and a little vehicle momentum. Use your imagination, and also be careful - don't get hurt by a broken, flying chain. For 'up-down' straightening, I've found it a little more difficult. I've toyed with the idea of putting some anchors in. But, so far, I still go back to the frame shop.
Another 'BTW'.... I avoid the modern frame guys that have these new machines set up for unibody cars. My choice is the older shop, that has the really heavy, universal equipment.
And, regarding the section between the bumper and front crossmember.... the last one I worked on was mangled, and I couldn't do a good enough job of straightening it. I had a sheetmetal guy form a section to match the factory section, and I cut out the old section, and put in new.

bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement