Hard shifting transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2000, 03:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ricochet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard shifting transfer case

I currently have 79 cj-5 304/t150/d20 setup. For some reason, after wheeling for a while, it takes like 20 minutes to get the transfer case dissengaged. It goes right into 4wd, but getting it back out is a real pain in the @ss. Anyone have any ideas how to eliminate this problem? Thanks

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://dreamwater.com/ironpines/
http://www.hagars4wd.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Hard shifting transfer case

It is a common problem in gear driven cases, binding. Try backing up, that usually works, or unlock your hubs, then try to shift.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2000, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if i just push in the clutch and try to shift mine it is difficult too. try slipping the clutch a bit, it works every time for me.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
Old 08-31-2000, 09:43 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that by starting out, in reverse or forward, and moving the lever at the same time, it'll move. Sometimes I'll have to accelerate/decelerate slowly at the same time. Usually a twin stick conversion will eliminate this common problem.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Old 08-31-2000, 10:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er....ah guys.....isn't this a bit like the little pig spraying his straw house with hair spray to make it stronger when the real problem is the deficiencies inherent in that kind of construction. The problem here is not the transfer case, the technique, the number of sticks on the floor, or the PHASE OF THE MOON![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The PROBLEM here is............MISMATCHED TIRES![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Lessee....how long have I been posting....almost two years......and how many times have I mentioned this.....ABOUT THIRTY! What you have here is a set of mismatched tires. The TURNS PER MILE of the front axle; as it "averages" the two tires via the spider gears in the diffierential; is DIFFERENT than the rear axle, and GEAR BINDING is the result. If you want to test this. Hop in on hard ground and engage FWD at a slow roll. Then drive a block or so and try to get it back out. It will be stuck. THEN back up slowly with gentle disengage pressure on the transfer case lever. IF IT POPS OUT of FWD in a very short distance, your tire mismatch is horrendous. If it takes quite a ways, it is not as bad. MAKE A FIXTURE that stands on the ground and has an adjustable pecker that you can set to just rest on the top edge of the metal wheel. Compare each wheel and adjust the pressures to match them up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Do this with the Jeep on good concrete and after it has been driven.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2000, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave, mismatched tires is very often an issue, but very often it isn't in this situation. tire slippage, one tire off the ground for a while, things
like that will usually more likely be the cause of bind, especially if you have lockers on both ends. On flat ground yes, the tire sizes are a big
issue, but the other factors would seem to be more important when wheeling on rough terrain.

Brad
Old 08-31-2000, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But Brad......wouldn't the simple "back up test" reveal if it were or if it weren't binding from tire mismatch nonetheless? After all, if the drivetrain is "wound up", the binding will unravel in reverse regardless of where it came from, and if he does the simple "street test" as I outlined, he can determine whether the cause IS the tire mismatch or not, thereby eliminating the off-road factor. I cut my teeth in old WWII army 6X6 trucks with the two-lever cases, and we ran into this all the time if I forgot to pull out the front axle drive right after I got out of the mud, heaven and earth couldn't disengage those cases till I backed up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I've discovered, due to lockers, is that the bind can end up there. Driving for a short distance will often releive the bind, usually with
a LOUD pop or bang from one diff, it is usually my rear Detroit that will audibly remind me its there. This bind gets transferred to the t-case
by virtue of the entire drive line, and the locker unwinding or unlocking the hubs usually helps. The reason I'm pretty sure this is a factor is that
I've noticed this problem to be more pronounced in my CJ since I put lockers in both ends. Of course the 4:1 would probably also exacerbate
the problem!

Brad
Old 08-31-2000, 11:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to disagree with you there Dave. It might be mismatched tires, but I've had the same problem with the my Scout D20 since '78 (new), through tons of tires (235,000 miles on it), and in all situations. Backwards, forwards, doesn't matter. The Jeep D300 was the same way. In fact, almost all gear driven cases have the same problem. Now be it mismatched tires, gear ratios (4.09 vs 4.10) or whatever, I have never heard of a case where going to the twin stick didn't help alleviate the problem, which is shifting hard. Why would a twin stick allow the transfer case to shift easier without binding then? BTW, mine shifts just as hard going into gear as it does coming out, so it's certainly not a tire issue. It might be the linkage, or just the inherent binding that comes from an old one. If your theory is correct, then it shouldn't be able to happen with new tires(correcting for the weight distribution difference), right?

I think it's a combination of all of the above, not just one factor personally.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Old 08-31-2000, 02:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hmmmm.....I thought about that single stick business, and my answer to that is that with the two-stick cases you can operate on just getting the front drive loose, without having to move any more gears in a bound-up transfer case. I had ONE truck with the army transfer case that some genius decided to go single stick with, and it was nearly impossible to use. We finally converted it back to two-sticks, which helped a lot. By having lockers, the differential cannot "average" the difference in tire sizes, and it CAN make the binding even worse, so that squares with Brad's experiences. In every case I have had, it was a lot easier to go IN front axle drive than it was to get back out. If the shift INTO front drive is hard......and I mean hard despite turning figure eights with the vehicle....than the case is not set up quite right inside. The shift rail is binding, or the collar may be in wrong.....lots of possibilities. If you have gross mismatch, you can tell by holding pressure to ENGAGE front drive and moving real slow. Once you feel the "gate", you have to act fast because the mismatch will take the gate away very quickly, even at very low speeds. As a kid, just for the heck of it I used to drive along with one of the trucks and see if I could go IN and then OUT of front drive before the binding occurred. Usually at any speed at all, I couldn't get it back out of front drive because those trucks had intentionally higher speed front axles to "lead" them through mud. I WILL SAY, that getting into and out of front drive continues to be the scourge of the FWD people, and you can understand why the modern SUVs never seem to get shifted outa push-button FWD by the little vacuum or electric servos. I see them all the time turning into parking lots during snow season just crabbing all over the place. I just look down at my transfer case lever and smile.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement