Axel/Hub Puller - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Axel/Hub Puller

Can anyone recommend a puller - type of and where to get it - to use for removing my rear hubs and axels in order replace the axel oil seal? Is it necessary to pull BOTH the hub and axel or can they come out in one piece? Also, is there something particular I should use to clean the rear differential after removing the cover before I refill it?

Any other advice pertaining to this job that wouldn't be in Hayes or Chilton is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

Dirt is good. Speed is good. Scabs are good. Life is good.
'80 CJ7, 258, 31x10.50, o/w stock
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2000, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Axel/Hub Puller

Since you didn't say and I can not tell from your profile either I will assume you have the AMC 20. Yes, with the AMC 20 you will have to pull everything.I called every place I could find in the phone book and never could find a puller. So after being down for 2 days here's what I used and it worked great. I used the jack out of my wife's car. It had one of those little jacks that when all the way down to store in the car is only about an inch and a half tall. I took everything apart except for the hub and axle. I put the jack between the hub and the axle tube flange. Raised the jack and the whole thing came out very easily. Since I had spun a hub and had pieces everywhere I also pulled the differential cover in order to clean everything out. I jacked up one side higher than the other and poured gear oil in to sort of wash the pieces into the differential housing. I also used a rag taped to the end of a broom handle to push everything out. This took a long time and I had to change rags a lot, but it worked. I also used a tool magnet. I used more rags and oil to clean out the differential housing. I do not know if this will help you but it works. You might also want to replace that little key that holds the axle and hub together. Or you could do what I did and put in Moser 1 piece axles in.

Tom
83 CJ-7, Just put a new bushing kit on and continue to run and repair the jeep.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2000, 08:25 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

i would take "'80 CJ7, 258, 31x10.50, o/w stock" to mean amc20 also.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Old 08-13-2000, 08:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a couple of junk yard techniques:

1. Take the brake drums off and turn them around. Place them on the axle backwards. Install several lugnuts. Now either move the drum in and out hopefully that's all that will be needed to pull the axle. If that doesn't work you could tighten the lugnuts. Then strike the drum with a big hammer. That usually does it.

2. Give yourself some room. Hook you a length of chain around the hub. Stand at the opposite end of chain. Then "snap" the chain. This should get it out. You may have to do it several times, but this usually works as a last resort.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Old 08-13-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The last way without a puller is to attach a wheel (tire and wheel) with atleast three lug nuts and use that as a puller, but the drum trick should work...

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement