How do you change that YJ Front Axle Seal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2000, 12:27 PM
Journeyman

broncoloco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you change that YJ Front Axle Seal?

My 91 YJ is leaking gear oil onto the passenger side tire. I removed the axle shafts (inner and outer) and the Vacuum Disconnect. I can now see that the seal is inside of the axle right next to the disconnect. It looks like the seal will be very difficult to change (since the access opening is 2"x4"). I don't see an easy wat to install a new seal squarely into the axle. Has anybody done this job before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2000, 04:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road
Default Post deleted by jeeperjohn

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: How do change that YJ Front Axle Seal

Photo? Huh, did I miss it?

Fluke [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2000, 10:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

Ok, I had problems posting the picture. Build or borrow a tool like this to "pull" the seal into place

Am I a normal person in an abnormal world or an abnormal person in a normal world?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-187685-seal2.jpg (89.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-11-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A piece of angle iron will work better than a piece of wood for the part in the diagram marked "flat stick". Also it is not necessary to weld a nut on the end of the rod. If you do not have access to a welder just hold the thread all from turning with a pair of vice grips. Then turn the nut next to the angle iron. This will pull the seal into the recess in the axle housing.

A side note. I would like to meet the engineer who decided to put this seal in the disconect box instead of on the outside of the axle housing. While I was fixing my leaky seal I thought of several nice compliments for him and his family.

Old 08-11-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you dont even need the angle iron, just use some large fender washers, get a buddy to hold a wrench on the nut inside the disconnect housing and go to town on the nut on the the other end and it will pull the seal in nice and square

Old 08-11-2000, 12:32 PM
Journeyman

broncoloco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to change that YJ Front Axle Seal

Thanks for the tips and especially the sketch, guys! I was thinking that I might have to make some sort of contraption out of threaded-rod, but then I thought: "This is ridiculous, it can't require that much work to change a lousy axle seal!" Apparently, there is no easy way to install it. I tried removing it last night and gave up after a few minutes of laying in gear oil and bumping my head on my new header/exhaust system. Does anybody know an easy way to remove the old seal? I agree with mudtrain, there's got to be a better place to put that seal. Why not on the outer end of the axle? Oh well, thanks again for the help guys!

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
Old 08-11-2000, 01:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

Go in from the outer end of the axle tube with a long punch, screw driver etc and just drive it out with a hammer.

Am I a normal person in an abnormal world or an abnormal person in a normal world?
Old 08-11-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it is like the Dana 30. then after you have the axle's out, then find a long metal rod, you can also attatch extentions for sockets together, I have done that before as well. Oh, did you take the gears out of the axle? I did on my 30. then thread the long bar into the axle until it touches the seal. Pound it out, repeat for other side. Now to put them in, it is easier to do the farthest seal from the end of the housing. to do this put your tube into the axle opposite of the side you are putting in, and it's best to find a piece of wood, or a socket that lines up with the seal. Put the seal in place, and lightly pound on the end of your tube. Check to make sure it's going in straight, keep pounding until it's in as far as it will go. For the other side you will have to put your tube through the seal you just installed and then attatch the socket or whatever you are using to press the seals in. Then place the seal and start pounding.

Some of the simplest tasks sure do require alot of labor!!

Now like I said this is for the Dana 30.

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement