Steering Wheel Lash?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2000, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Steering Wheel Lash?!?

Hi guys-
I've recently bought myself a 95 YJ, 4.0, 31" tires, and I am loving it!! I had no idea how much fun jeepin' really is. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, I had to take the jeep through NJ inspection today, and I failed for steering wheel lash?!? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I have no idea what this is, but the inspection guy said any mechanic could fix it for about $100. Anyone have a clue what this is, and is it something I could fix myself? Thanks a bunch.

Melissa

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Steering Wheel Lash?!?

How To Check Lash.

Vehicles with power steering require the engine running to check steering wheel lash.

Turn the steering wheel in one direction until the tires just begin to pivot.

Place a mark on the steering wheel at a fixed reference point. Turn the wheel in the other direction until the tires again start to move, mark the steering wheel at the same fixed reference point.

Measure the distance between the two points. The amount of allowable lash varies with the diameter of the steering wheel.

Generally Lash cannt exceed 2"

How to fix it, well I would check your tie rod ends and Steering arms, they might need replacing.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2000, 04:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

beee240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Steering Wheel Lash?!?

Hey beautiful[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I can adjust the lash when you come down tonight. Also, tell the dork at the DMV to kiss my butt, stop flirting with you, and just pass the damn Jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
See you tonight.
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement