Who Makes WalMart's Motor Oil? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2000, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

DuaneD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who Makes WalMart\'s Motor Oil?

I was in WalMart (a.k.a Wally World to my family) tonight looking for five new quarts of motor oil for the next oil change. I am looking at the brand I've typically bought over the years and it's on sale for $1.40 quart. I think, high, but ok. Low and behold on the next asile over, the Wally World brand (I think its called Super Tech or something "TECH"..somebody help me here) with all the different weights one could ever want. The price, $0.73 cents per quart!!!! This got me to thinking..Anybody know what company makes this for WalMart? I wonder if its new oil or re-conditioned motor oil? Humm any ideas?

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Restoration w/258/T176/Dana300 looking 4 a 95-96 4.0L Motor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2000, 09:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who Makes WalMart\'s Motor Oil?

Know what Duane ? Take a look at what the service rating is on the Wal-Poop oil . Then check your reg brand . I have been using Pennzoil for as long as I can remember and my engines get max mileage and I go 4000 miles between changes and the oil always looks good at change time . I also toss in a can of STP oil treatment . But who`s to say that the Wal-Poop stuff wouldn`t have done as good as a job . My .02 worth .

<font color=red> Jeepzilla
CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2000, 09:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I should have mentioned this but you basically want to look for an SJ rating on the oil . As of this date other ratings that were common are now obsolete ( according to Quaker State) .

<font color=red> Jeepzilla
CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>
Old 07-11-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My cousin who used to work in the Wally World Auto shop told me that he talked to the oil delivery guy that brings the TECH 2000 motor oil brand to Walmart,the guy said it was Pure Quaker State motor oil packaged in a different bottle and sold exclusively to walmart.Now this isnt written in stone,only what he said,i believe my cousin tho,but take the delivery guy as you wish

Old 07-12-2000, 12:06 AM
Addict

redbeard is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes on off-brand products it tells who makes the product in fine print on the labeling of the product.
Look to see if it is made by quaker state, penzoil, valvoline, etc.

If a mime cusses does his mother wash his hands with soap?
Old 07-12-2000, 07:37 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked into this awhile ago, and never got anywhere, like anyone at Wal-Mart would have a clue. Some said it was made by Valvoline, while others said different manufacturers. It has the highest rating, along with all the other manufacturers. I'm curious as to how it stands up, viscosity, pour point, ash content, zinc, etc. to all the others. And no, there is no fine print to tell who actually made it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Old 07-12-2000, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did several searches trying to find the answer to this one with no luck. Although I know it does not mean anything I looked up the patent number on the bottle (for the bottle) and it is assigned to Texaco, Inc. Maybe someone has the answer.

Depewtee '78 CJ-5 (for sale)
'90 YJ (still in one piece)
Old 07-13-2000, 12:29 PM
Old Hand

v8jeep is an unknown quantity at this point

That Tech 2000 stuff is all I use in my jeep! 78 cents a quart, what the heck, since it seems I loose a quart every few months or so due to leaks, why buy the good stuff. I run castrol in my truck though. But I am interested in finding out about the wal-mart stuff. Anyone ever seen tests done on it online?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Old 07-13-2000, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

RocknCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quaker State would be my first guess. Someone recently told me they found quaker state to be the manufacturer of the gear oil that is sold by Sam's (you know the Wally World where you can get a two year supply of cheerios or maybe even enough of those moonguys to distribute to ALL of the Jeepers from the BBS)
Anyhow, oil is one of those things that everyone has got an opinion on, and mine is Castrol GTX.
Actually though the most important thing is that you keep it changed frequently and you'll not likely have any problems. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences come from bad judgment.
Old 07-13-2000, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

DuaneD is an unknown quantity at this point

Who would have "thunk it"? I would have never have quessed Quaker State. What we we do without good Wally World and end-user of those Moon Guys to boot! I am gonna give it try and pick up the needed quarts. I agree, "keeper changed frequently" and run a good filter (I use NAPA Gold for what its worth) and you'll will be safe. I wonder who Quaker State throws their money behind in NASCAR? Thanks for investigation efforts, its great to see the resources of the "Short Wheel Base Team!

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Restoration w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95-96 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement