Off Roading Forums banner

O/T Tomatoes..

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  OlllllllOCJ 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have a lot of people stop by the tire shop asking for old tires so the can plant tomatoes in them. They claim it's the best way because when you water them the tire will hold a lot of the moisture instead of letting it all go straight down in the ground. Not sure if that's true are not. I can believe the old timers that say that but I have to doubt it a little because I'm thinking some of the others that ask for tires are probably planting something else in them..

#3 ·
Well for tomato plants the "Expert" (not me) advise is well drained soil but keep them watered on a regular basis. As for the other things that folks might plant in a tire... Not sure it makes much difference long as they don't get caught. :)

:cheers:
Dale

#4 ·
I got my plants in on Mothers Day like you're supposed to do.
4 Better Boy and 2 super sweet cherry plants, plus 4 sweet red bell peppers all growing in whiskey barrels.
They all seem to be doing great so far this year except the cherry tomatoes. Not sure why, but they aren't doing much at all.
Great idea bringing this thread back, Dale.

#5 ·
Good to see you post Jim. Good luck with your tomatoes.

I have six plants.
Early Girl
Pink Brandywine
Black Prince
Parks Whopper
Goliath
Cherokee Purple

The first five plants went into the ground on Mother's Day. I didn't find a Cherokee Purple at Lowes or Wal Mart so I sent out a posse of sister in laws and the caught one for me. Put the Cherokee Purple into the ground Memorial Day weekend. All are doing great so far, all over 3' tall with some at 4' tall. The Early Girl already has over a dozen tomatoes from marble size to golf ball size. The Goliath has a marble size tomato when I planted it and that tomato is now baseball size.

What do folks use for stakes or cages?

I have used a simple 6' wood stake, bamboo a couple different ways, ends up falling over. Made Tee Pee shaped things from three pieces of wood for several years. Took way too much time but I built cages that are much more sturdy and reusable for years from 1/2" PVC pipe, 1/2" rebar and cable ties this year.

Four 3' pipes sit down over 2' lengths of rebar driven into the ground a little over 1'. The rungs are 1' long. That is a whole bunch of holes to drill. Fastened together with cable ties. I have added an identical set on top to make them all 6' tall now.

I hope to have to give away lots of tomatoes this year. Last year I was buying them at the Farmers Market.

Dale

Attachments

#7 ·
Mine are getting pretty full now, but still have a lot of growing to do.
My cherry tomato plants aren't going anywhere, but I have them in a new barrel and I think I have soil issues.
The bell peppers are growing well so far, but the plants are a bit small. I talked with several people that got there pants at the same place and theirs are acting the same. We shall see.

Your stuff looks great, Dale.

#9 ·
It's true Jim... Most are either too young or senile to remember Jay Sherman. :eek

It's been about two months since I started the thread, posted a picture. Want an update? Tuff I'm going to do it anyway!

First pic is what they looked like yesterday afternoon.

All six plants are 6 to 8 foot tall.

Second pic is a Cherokee Purple that weighs in just over a pound. :)

Now a review....

Early Girl
Ripe and ready to eat first, as expected.Not bad but nothing to rave about.

Pink Brandywine
Anticipation factor annoying, but well worth the wait. Excellent flavor.

Black Prince
Holly smokes this is a great little tomato, smaller than an Early Girl but so much better. Bet that I have eaten 30 of these and another 15 that others got to eat, very productive. Started getting ripe ones a few days after the Early Girls

Parks Whopper
Jury is still out... Only ones that have had a butt blight problem and hit or miss flavor.

Goliath
Kind of big Early Girls. Getting lots of tomatoes.

Cherokee Purple
Longest wait, even more than the two week delay putting it into the ground. But likely the best flavor of them all.

Dale

Attachments

#10 ·
In spite of the fast start Uncle Don's aren't doing much. He's been planting a garden in the same patch about 2 by 30 feet between his back fence and the alley for as long as I can remember - I'm sure over 40 years. Every spring I spade it for him and by this time usually have all the tomatoes I can eat, but the last three or four years the picking as been pretty slim. He's given me only a half dozen or so tomatoes off ten plants, but I've gotten all the cucumbers, zucchini, peppers and onions I care for.

#11 ·
None of my plants got very big this year but the flavors have been outstanding.
I have 4 Better Boy plants that have been putting out a pretty steady stream of fruit. Nice thin skins and sweet meat.
My sweet red bell pepper plants have done very little, but the flavor is spot on. I won't be filling the freezer this year for sure.
As stated above, the cherry plants did virtually nothing so I've been hitting the farmers market to fill the bowl on the counter Iike to nibble out of.
I'll have to come reference your varieties next spring Dale. You have some nice looking 'maters there. (Yes, I'm flirting)

#14 ·
Have had lots and lots of great tomatoes so far but went through a "bloom drop" for a couple weeks and the new ones are still green. I will have more.

Tater, I highly recommend the "Black Prince" not very big but excellent flavor.

Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.