Off Roading Forums banner

Thinking about down sizing..

9K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  SilentBob2 
#1 ·
I have have a set of international 44's that I've been thinking about throwing under the scrambler. Ever since I put the full size axles under it, pretty much just sits there. I have a set of stock yj springs and the 44's so thinking why not, maybe it will get drove more. Figure I will keep it soa and maybe just some good ole 35's on it. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
At the time we were going over to Disney a lot and bigger was better but I had more fun on the trails when it was smaller and drove it a lot more. Thinking I might go ahead and start rebuilding the 44's and slap them under when I get them done. Been awhile but if memories are correct, I can use my current high steer knuckles as long as I use the full size outer shaft?

#5 ·
If they're Scout axles they have zero caster, which can cause a problem. My experience with truck size 44s is that the outer stuff is interchangeable for the most part. Unless there's something unusual about your International front you should be able to take everything off your full size front axle and put it onto the shorter one. In the back the backing plates should be all you need to swap, if the lug pattern is correct for your wheels.

When I built my front I narrowed a 44 from a '79 Jeep Cherokee - 2-door version of a full-size Wagoneer - but didn't like the outers, so I got an axle from a '84 Dodge Ramcharger - Mopar's version of a FS Blazer - and used everything from the ball joints out. I had to modify the arms on the knuckles and shorten the shafts, but it went together nicely and almost looks factory, except for the tie-rod. There are pictures on my website.

And of course you know about my 44 rear. I had to modify the backing plates to retain the stock AMC20 parking brake, but that was no big deal. I have pictures of that but they're not on my website.

#6 ·
Yep I forgot about the hubs and bolt pattern. Not too worried about the caster problem. I've done that before on my brother in-laws Land cruiser when we sprung it over years ago. I have a alignment rack at the shop so I figured I would put it on the rack and set the caster then weld the c knuckles in place. These 44's are out of a 73 international truck so I thought I would throw them under and run them through the cycle and see where the caster sits before I change anything.

#9 ·
Has anyone here ever looked into swapping a gm 4.2 i6 into a CJ. Was thinking about doing an LS swap in the scrambler when I do the axles but saw the Supra guys are using the i6 out of a trail Blazer because they have forged internals and make good power. I know a guy that has one that got t-boned and he needs two more tires for his current driver and said he would trade me. Runs and drives so thinking it might be a good deal. I already have the gm trans so some mounts and wiring pretty much.

#11 ·
Definitely different and haven't found anything with it being done in a cj. Was just going to do the LS 5.3 but really don't need the v8 and you have the same wiring harness brake down so figured why not. They put out 275- 290 HP depending on which one you get so that should be plenty good.

#16 ·
The width will be fine. It's the same length as the 258 when you include the fan on the 258. Trailblazer had electric fans so I guess that's where I'm going with it. I have seen a couple pics so I know it can be done. I will just figure it out as I go. Have to order a new bearing retainer for sm465 because the one I have has been machined for stock bell housing and Jeep clutch.

#17 ·
Just an update, haven't even got started on the swap. Finally got around to building a motor for the 66 mustang and should be done in a week or so. Also doing a 6.0 LS swap in my son's 69 GMC short bed and about half way through it. But that's where I'm at.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.