I'm baaaaaaack! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm baaaaaaack!

Wow how time flies. I woke about 5am and felt the urge to struggle through the process of getting logged back in after about a 2 year absence.

Kids are older, I can't see up close anymore, wife is now a judge, we moved as a result and are now "country folk". Have space to play and a building to tinker.

I'm still fighting the good fight, but the environment has definitely changed.

Still have the Jeep and trailer. Spent last winter going through EVERYTHING that I had neglected or beat up over the years. She sees a trail or the river once in a great while and is still the preferred method of transportation for the kids so it ain't going anywhere.

It's great to see many familiar names still lurking. I hope everyone is doing well. Suns up and I gotta mow my big ass yard so we can leave for labor day weekend with in-laws. Take are everyone!!!

And please... STOP RESISTING!

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

Nice to see some old faces dropping in..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Wow! Take a few days off and look who pops up!

Great to hear form you after all this time. So what part of the world did you settle in? The Boss and I talk occasionally about moving, but the logistics of doing so are a nightmare. We're probably stuck here until they screw us into the ground.

Old silver sits mostly, but I take it out every now and then to run an errand. Had it to the Bash in the spring but that was the last time off road, except for busting brush to get to the back yard.

I just replaced all four tie rod ends which almost cured the death wobble. Then I replaced the slip joint on the steering column. It was a 5/8" shaft and key arrangement that had worn until there was slop in it. I replaced it with a spline slip joint for a drive shaft. It's ever so tight that I know the DW has to be gone, but haven't had it out to try yet.

I also cured a leak in the power steering pump. It was leaking between the pump and reservoir. There's an O-ring that seals it. When I got it apart I found that the O-ring was defective - it had three little webs where it appeared that the mold didn't close quite right, and fluid was leaking out around the one at the bottom. I didn't have another that size but did have one about a quarter inch longer. I cut a chunk out with a razor blade and stuck the ends back together with Super Glue. Three days and not a drop has escaped yet.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

We only moved about 25 miles east. This will be our forever home... I hope.
Glad to hear your still tinkering.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM

Great to see you back. Last summer we passed through Nebraska in the motor home on our way home from Alaska. We had a 4-wheel drive on the trailer, but it was the Subaru wagon. I thought about trying to look you up, but had nothing to start with. One of these days I would really like to get up there and try some river running with you.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode