Fiigured it out! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Fiigured it out!

Well after a week of messing around and even registering under another handle I finely figured my old email out!

Well I am sad to say that I actually took the jeep into a shop because I could not get it running. I had a no start situation. I went through everything I could think of even replaced the distributor with a spare that I had. Then read about bad computers so I replaced that with one I had laying around. I must have swapped that computer back and forth a dozen times over a few weeks. I have no idea how many times I pulled the distributor and turned the engine 180 50 times before I was just done. Well I flat towed it to a local shop and told them what I had all done and replace. About an hour later he called and said that they had pushed it into the shop checked all the connections and everything looked good so they tried starting it and it started right up. The only thing they could find was that the distributor was 1 tooth off. Well as many times as I had that distributor in and out I can not believe that it was still in one piece much less only one tooth off.

I don't know how many times I had stepped away from that jeep over the weeks only to try again and they turn the key and it starts.

I almost turned in my Jeep Card!

Starting over isn't going to be as hard as not starting at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Don't you hate it when that happens? How much did it cost you?

Similar thing happened to me recently. We were getting ready for a trip in the motor home. It was cold so I turned on the furnace to make it comfortable while loading. The fans came on, the gas valve opened, but the pilot didn't light. It's common for air to somehow get into the gas lines when it sits for a long time, so I purged the lines as far as the stove, and then tried again to light the furnace. And again. And again. Then I went outside while it was trying to start. I could smell propane, but couldn't hear the igniter spark.

After a dozen tries I finally gave up and took it to the shop. They pulled it in, turned the furnace on and it fired up immediately. At least they didn't charge me anything, but it burned up a couple of hours and six gallons of diesel.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Addict

When they called they said the gas in it was bad and should be drained rather then run through it, which I agreed with since it had not run in months and very few miles on the tank before that. They also noted that the rear metal brake line needed to be replaced before they could safely put miles on it to make sure the issue did not come back. Buy this time I was so done with it that I told them to go ahead and fix it all. Then I remembered that put the ARB from the rear of ERH_IN_WI old jeep in it and capped off the line because the pump was broken apart in the crash. So I figured I might as well have them repair that as well since I was going to be out of state for two weeks and it was going to be sitting there anyhow. After it was all said and done I put $750 into it. When I went and picked it up I walked out and feeling relieved that I did not have to lay in the driveway in the Negative Temps working on it!!! Only to have to lay in the Driveway in the Negative temps changing out the starter in the Diesel Beetle!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Addict

P.S. I never thought I would be a Master VW Beetle Diesel Mechanic but there is not much I have not done on them? I have replaced and or Modified just about everything on them, Heck I even put a 3" lift in my last one! LOL Used it as my out of state hunting vehicle! Now I need to get back at it like that with the Jeeps, but I will lift another Beetle since I totaled the last one after hitting a Deer at 70mph with 336,000+ miles on it and still getting 45mpg.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:12 AM

I didn't know they ever put a diesel n a beetle, or was it a New Beetle?

B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Yep a New Beetle. Had a 2000, with 336,000+ on it when it was totaled and still have a 2001 with 308,000 miles on it and still going strong.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:35 AM

Does it have the so-called cheater software? If so, don't let a dealer put hands on it!

B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddogs View Post
Yep a New Beetle. Had a 2000, with 336,000+ on it when it was totaled and still have a 2001 with 308,000 miles on it and still going strong.
"Can I have a mule"?

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No comments about the "Can I have a mule?" thing??

Where the heck is Andy or Pat?

At a Bash some time ago Gooddogs was telling a story... Brad was falling down drunk but had a tight grip on a tent pole to save him... As the story went on for some time Brad would say "Can I have a mule?" and "It's just not a mine without a mule." Gooddogs ignored the question and it was asked several times. Eventually Gooddogs looked over at Brad and said "Yes you can have a mule". Was a great Bash and a great story.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 PM

The Gooddogs story that sticks in my mind has to do with Beefy on the morning after the night before. Although I can't remember what the story was.

picture 109.jpg

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode