Nope have not died so far... - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
Is the hub of that wiper arm some kind of plastic?
Nope... Not quite that craptastic....

Seems to be some pot metal casting that has a chrome plating. Its actually three parts the hub as you mention. The sheet metal part that connects the hub to the arm, seems to be stainless... And the arm, could be made of most anything.

Doesn't look exactly like an old CJ wiper arm but unless it rusts down to dust in the next few months. It's close enough.

Too bad that they couldn't make it so that it simply fit.

I bought a bunch of Omix stuff that simply didn't work.

And since I simply want to bitch...

I bought a windshield gasket... Didn't use it because it seemed to be pretty much useless... Had an old gasket hanging out for about 10 years... We used that.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM

If you'd take care of your stuff, wash it once in a while . . . . .

My original wiper blades lasted from '78 until the rebuild in '03. And I'm still using the original windshield gasket.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
If you'd take care of your stuff, wash it once in a while . . . . .

My original wiper blades lasted from '78 until the rebuild in '03. And I'm still using the original windshield gasket.
OK, for the windshield gasket but. Absolutely impossible for the wiper blades, I know that you don't take that kitchen ware rig out in the rain but... No way

And btw... The mud is holding my junk together.

That Haspin mud is actually stronger than steel and most certainly stronger than rust.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 AM

It's true! There are three factors responsible for the original wiper blade's long life; Rain-X on the glass so I seldom use the wipers; Silicone on the rubber which protects it from ozone and other nasties; and the Jeep almost never sleeps outside.

Thanks to the Rain-X it was three years after the restoration until I got around to installing the wipers, and the main motivation was that I envisioned a problem justifying their absence if I were ever involved in an accident in the rain.

Toby and I have never been to Haspin. I guess we should do that some time.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
It's true! There are three factors responsible for the original wiper blade's long life; Rain-X on the glass so I seldom use the wipers; Silicone on the rubber which protects it from ozone and other nasties; and the Jeep almost never sleeps outside.

Thanks to the Rain-X it was three years after the restoration until I got around to installing the wipers, and the main motivation was that I envisioned a problem justifying their absence if I were ever involved in an accident in the rain.

Toby and I have never been to Haspin. I guess we should do that some time.
Not likely that you really want to go to Haspin. Great for breaking stuff! And a long way fro St Louis.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:36 AM

We went as far as Utah and Colorado once for wheeling, but that was surely better than Haspin.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
We went as far as Utah and Colorado once for wheeling, but that was surely better than Haspin.
Surely!

What about a fall ride? You folks can bring your mobile houses with a Jeep on a trailer in tow. I'll just drive there in my old "craptasitc" 1985 CJ....

What do you think about that?

I don't want to replace motor mounts, springs or much of any thing else.. Nice long drive... In the freaking old Jeep and then some trail rides. What is that place that you guys have gone to in the past? Land of the Lakes?

Seems like that is it (I could be wrong), needs to be in the next few weeks... Winter will be here soon enough.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Land Between the Lakes. It's between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. It would probably be a lot longer drive for you. For something different I'd just as soon go to Redbird. Haven't been there for a bunch of years, and there's more variety than LBL. Toby is probably out either way. He's got a lot of stuff going on for the next couple of months.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Land Between the Lakes. It's between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. It would probably be a lot longer drive for you. For something different I'd just as soon go to Redbird. Haven't been there for a bunch of years, and there's more variety than LBL. Toby is probably out either way. He's got a lot of stuff going on for the next couple of months.
It's always good to have Toby along, the cigar smoke covers up many other bad things like my cigarettes burning.

Well I'm not really a big fan of Redbird, have not been there is a couple of years so maybe it's not valid. Might be marvelous. If we need to do that I'll have to find Tom, he lives right there.

The long drive is part of it, I want to completely shut down my kidneys. Old Jeeps ride so smooth on the highway.

Not really looking for much of a challenge other than to spend two or three days out in the old junk, in the woods, interesting views. No rock crawling or extreme stuff is needed. Some simple trail riding would do nicely thank you, I don't have to grab the shift lever to lock the front but it's there as required.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example

Last edited by OlllllllOCJ; 09-03-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: there was an "n" missing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode