Off Roading Forums banner

Resurrection

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  OlllllllOCJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Its looking pretty dead in here. I used to post in here a little as Rabid_Tortoise. Probably been 7 or 8 years since I've been in here. Some of you who've been around that long may remember me from a couple Bash's in 04, 05, and that time frame, if there's anyone left around. I had a yellow CJ with awesome tires. OlllllllOCJ is my dad. He used to post a lot more than I did. Still does from time to time.

My Jeep has sat unused for the past five years or so. I've recently decided to pull it out of it's hole and resurrect it. Thought I'd liven the board up with some photos. I might come in and post random photos of the progress just to help keep me motivated.

Right after I pulled it out:

It's leaking brake fluid and power steering fluid, and probably everything else that can leak. It's a lot more rusty than when I last looked at it. Paint is cracking and peeling off. It's got plenty of other issues.

I've pulled it over to my place and starting taking stuff apart. It won't be a restoration in any sense of the word, but I want to make it safe to drive, lift it a little, put some decent tires on it and start hitting trails again.

As it sits currently:

Progress is slow with work and other priorities. Eventually I'll get it back up and going.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Plans

My plans for it include some new exhaust parts. Since I've owned it, it's had headers on it. I really hated those headers. They leaked a bunch, hung down below the frame rails, and caused me nothing but problems. I plan to replace them with stock style exhaust manifolds and a y-pipe. I'm really getting tired of the rust too. So I'm painting everything I touch as well as I can. I painted these with POR15 high-temp paint. We'll see how it holds up.

I also pulled the front axle out and set up some 4.56 gears to match the Q78 tires I plan to use. I blasted it with a harbor freight media blaster and painted it with POR15, too. It seems silly considering the body rust, but maybe if I chip away at the rust one piece at a time, I'll get it all taken care of eventually.

I think it looks pretty good all painted black.

I'm thinking about propane for fuel instead of a carb. I always had issues with the carburetors I tried to use. Propane just sounds like fun. I'm trying to decide between dual fuel and dedicated propane. I went ahead and picked these up on Craigslist though:

#3 ·
I remember you. Good to see people come around again that haven't been here for a while. A few regulars still check in. I'm kind of doing what you're doing. Over the weekend, I got my CJ going again after it has sat in the back yard for the last 2-1/2 years. I still have to clock the front caliper brackets and get the front pinion bearings replaced before going off-road with it.

Reactions: Jackson
#5 ·
Great to hear from you, Jackson. Yeah, I remember you from the Bash. How's the Old Guy doing? He hasn't been on in a while.

As long as you don't want something pretty that old CJ will serve you well. But before you get too deep into it, look at the inside of the frame rails around the front of the rear springs. If that's badly rusted you should repair it, which will be a lot easier and have better results if you lift the tub off. It's really not that big a job.

Keep posting pictures, and ask questions. We'll give different answers that your dad, so we can get some good arguments going. :D

#6 ·
Hey Jim. Good to see you. He's as old and curmudgeonly as ever. He is in the process of fixing the windshield from last year's bash.

My frame rust doesn't seem too bad. The body mount tabs on the frame could use replacing. I am saving my pennies for a welder to tackle some of that.

#9 ·
I feel bad that I haven't been on here in a while. been busy. Big changes in my life, I have officially retired and somehow building a new place and prepping for a shop auction has me going a lot of directions. To my point... if you haven't found caliper brackets I'm about positive I have some. I have a 30 year collection of CJ parts right down to the odd bolts they used. I will be keeping one of everything as I will keep the white CJ forever. When I do what Dale did to his windshield it softens when you have a spare or three. Anybody need parts? If anyone has a hard to find item I may have it. The bad thing about not moving for 35 years and having a lot of space is one saves too much. [did I really need 6 spare hoods?] I guess I shouldn't make it a free store, but I would treat things like ABT's as currency. I'll manage to get online more often now that I've learned how to swipe my son's Wi-Fi. Or Jim has my cell. Dan

#11 ·
Wow I'm online 2 days I a row. I understand now why everyone leaves this for their kids to do. Since we often ran two rigs around it means several engine hoists, stands, jacks, tools , ad nauseum. At least I know why I kept each thing, there is a reason, however thin. It is fun on one level as it has induced a flood of memories.

#15 ·
While maybe not that particular day, all good. Note the two beer cans on the front of the grill, one not opened yet (I'm sure it was cold and didn't last very long). Good gravy I was wearing a Microsoft t-shirt, someone should have shot me even with the grease spot on the belly.

:cheers:
Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.