What kind of mount to use for a clevis hook - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2000, 06:54 PM
Addict

muddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What kind of mount to use for a clevis hook

I'm making a front bumper out of 2x4 tubing, 1/4 thick and I need to make some kind of mount for two clevis hooks, one one each side of the bumper. Any ideas?

87 wrangler - 258
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: What kind of mount to use for a clevis hook

R&P parts in Oregon City has nice bolt on clevis brackets. Their phone number is 503-557-8911. Or try [url]www.r-p4wd.com[\url]

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2000, 09:48 PM
Addict

muddog is an unknown quantity at this point

I was really wanting something that I could make and weld on. I was going to weld caps on the end of the bumper so I wouldn't have anyway to get to the nuts. How heavy does the mount have to be? Would a square tube that was 1/4 inch thick be heavy enough? You could drill a hole though 2 sides and then run the pin through that. ???

87 wrangler - 258
Old 07-01-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What size is the tube? 2"? With 1/4" walls? On my jeep, I used a piece of railroad track from an old industrial railroad (inside a plant) that we got from a friend a long time ago...It was about 2" tall, 2" wide, and super heavy duty... Absent that, I would just use a piece of flat steel...maybe 1/2" thick. One piece vertical, and a piece horizontal welded to the top and bottom--looking at it from the front, it would look like an "I". Drill your hole in the vertical piece, and it should be super strong, and with the two horizontal gussets, it should have great resistance to sideways pulls...just make sure you put the pieces in line with the frame and your mounting brackets and that you use CJDave's equalizer chain setup to try to reduce the strain on the frame...
Deano

Thought in middle of modifications: "Maybe AMC did it right the first time...Naah."
Old 07-02-2000, 10:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here in the Jeep fabrication shop, my moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]welders are very aware of the possibility that stresses and strains can occur. In light of that, and to keep costs low, they have done this little trick[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]when mounting the screw-pin shackles to bumpers. FIRST....take a leftover portion of bumper tubing about 5" long. Make a torch slit[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]lengthwise on the narrow side exactly in the center. NEXT, cut the side walls right where they begin to curve to make the OTHER narrow side. Now you have two pieces 5" long, with a 1" lip and about a 4" shirttail. THEN, clean them up real good, and place them where you want to have the shackles. Weld the top edge completely.....weld the sides about 50%, and weld the bottom. THEN make a couple of heavy plates with holes for the screw pins, and weld them to the tube segments that you have on the bumper, making those plates such that they are offset toward the top where the greater strength is. The shackles will hang higher that way. I'm telling you, these moonguys are something else. They are really little fabrication geniuses[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]If ONLY they didn't have to work standing in a sea of empty beer cans[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Oh....and one more thing....my head fabrication moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] told me to warn you not to try and be a smart guy and weld the heavy plates to the tube segments BEFORE you weld the segments to the bumper[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. If you try that, the segments will warp and you will have a setup which resembles, well......crapola.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] + Insomnia[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] = Carpal Tunnel [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2000, 10:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

When I had my Winch mount made for my cj I had them weld on two pieces of steel with a hole drill through them. Take a look at my site and I think there is a picture on the winch page. I did the same for my rear bumper.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Old 07-05-2000, 10:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

jfralph is an unknown quantity at this point

I got some heavy 3" angle iron, cut 4 pieces about 4" long, drilled holes in one leg to match the pin size, and welded the other flat side of the angle to the front bumper. I left a space between them so I could slip my tow bar between them and use them as anchor points for it. The front bumper has been reinforced with the custom made winch mount and tie in I performed with it. Works great. Way over kill as far as strength is concerned but easy and it works.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.