way off topic. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Update, took it back to the tuner. Made a few pulls on the dyno and was making 203/206 at the wheels. The tuner started making some changes and it jumped up to 239 then 250 and when we went for the next pull the clutch slipped at 264. So looking like we are going to need a better clutch. We are going to change fith gear while we have it out. Running down the bypass at 70 its sitting at 4500 rpm's so we want to tone that down a bit. The tuner was also telling us he can add some servo's to our ecu and give us boost by gear and rpm to put power to the ground evenly. I thought we had to have an expensive electronic boost controller for that but he can do it for about $150. Not bad

Last edited by SilentBob2; 04-16-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:06 AM

WOW! My old '87 Volvo Turbo had 185 horses, at the crankshaft, and I thought it was pleasantly peppy. I can't imagine a little CRX with 260 on the ground.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Yep that's why the tuner said he likes to keep the crx's down around 285 for a driver and said that is pushing it. They are almost a thousand pounds lighter than a normal civic. The motor we swapped in was 175 at the flywheel and running 14's. Guess we will find out Friday night how much it has improved...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The guy doing the tuning for us holds several records for fastest naturally aspirated four cylinder and fastest soc four cylinder. YouTube Humble performance and check them out. They have civics making over 700 HP on e85. Pretty cool guys that actually try to help you out and not just take your money and send you down the road. When we had it on the dyno it was popping at high rev, asked what our plug gap was and told us what to change it to so he wouldn't have to charge us. That blew me away when he told me to set the gap at .025. I was like are you sure, he said turbos change everything. He has set them as low as .016/.013.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Wow! I never would have guessed that a gap so small could start the fire!

B. Dash Fabrication
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Took it to the track Friday night, even with the clutch slipping a bit and a lot of tire spin he ran a 13.6 @ 107 mph. Not bad....
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thought I would give you guys a little update. After the clutch we ran a 12.9 but wasn't running right. Started getting a lot of blow buy so we tore into and of course the pistons were shot. Put a forged crank eagle rods and arais pistons in, had to bore it.020. Took it back to the tuner Monday and we bumped up to 18 pounds of boost and put down 316 wheel hp. Going to keep it there until we get the ecu set up for the boost by gear/rpm. Going to take it to the track Friday and see what it runs.

Last edited by SilentBob2; 09-24-2015 at 04:04 AM.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:12 PM

Those are tough, well designed little motors, but everything has a limit. Let us know when it blows!

B. Dash Fabrication
post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well it didn't blow. Gotta buy some slicks for it and get the boost buy gear/rpm set up. He did keep blowing the tires off it from first through third. Couldn't get out of the 13's. Best run last night was 13.3 at 113 mph. Has great top end, just got to make it stick when he launches.we even had the boost control down to 4 pounds and still had to peddal or short shift first and second. He really wanted to see the 12's. The heavier cars running the same mph were in the he 12's and he just couldn't understand why. It stayed together so all is good. Get some slicks and try it again.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Just thought I would give a little update. Factory sleeves didn't hold the 18 lbs. Of boost. Blew the head gasket and hydrolocked number one and two. Five inch crack in number one and a chunk out of cylinder number two. Shipped the block to the west coast to Darton to have some iron sleeves put in with the block gaurd built into the sleeves to prevent the cylinders from expanding on compression. Got all winter to get it done and try it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode