Trac-Loc - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2000, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Trac-Loc

I changed out the gear oil, and added traction modifier fluid to my '82 model 20 rear. I was able to spy the clutches behind the side gears. ( this confirmed the "BB" stamped code on the axle tubes indicating a factory limited slip diff.) My question is: How can I test, or be sure the Trac-Loc is working properly? I performed the following test(Not sure if this is a correct way of testing) I jacked up one side of axle an in. or two and placed trans. in gear assuming jacked wheel would spin and wheel on ground would pull.(jacked wheel spun, wheel on ground did not pull) Then I jacked up other side of axle and did the same. (Jacked wheel spun, wheel on ground did not pull.) I am aware that a limited slip diff. only transfers part of the torque to the wheel that is not spinning, but I thought that the jeep would at least pull somewhat on the floor jack. Am i ding something wrong? Is this the way the limited slip is supposed to behave? Perhaps my clutchs are worn?
Any input will be welcome
Bob

PigPen states that with both wheels jacked up one should spin in one direction, and the other wheel in the same direction. Mine spins in the oppisite direction.. Iguess my clutches are worn out. Haynes has no info about replacing the clutches.... now Im wondering if a shade tree mechanic like my self is capable of replacing the clutches nyself. If gear lash and such has to be measured then the job is out of my scope.
Any coments and replys welcome.
Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2000, 07:01 AM
Journeyman

jeepsternaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trac-Loc

The way I understand the Trac-lock system...based on what you did, the system worked as advertised...I think it engages when the rpm is increased. Example...if you were crossing a trench and one tire was off the ground and the other on...you will get into the situation you described, but if you gun it, or give it gas, the trac-lock should engage and get you out of a sticky situation.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2000, 07:46 AM
Addict

Pigpen is an unknown quantity at this point

To test a trac loc jack up the entire rear. If the trac loc is working when you spin one tire FORWARD the other tire will turn FORWARD. If the clutches are completely worn out the other tire will not turn or turn backwards. When you said you turned the tire with the other on the ground there should have been some resistance. It's true when the tire begins to slip the clutches will heat up and expand and try to lock the other tire. New clutches are about $80 bucks and you can install them yourself. They are a very tight fit and you will have to work to get them in if you don't have the required shop tools.
Pigpen

Old 06-29-2000, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

RocknCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

The side gears and spider gears are crowned so that there is always a tendency for them to want to separate. The spider gears are held in place by the carrier while the side gears are against the Trac Loc clutch pack. The greater the torque the greater the load on the clutch pack.

Pigpen was exactly right for checking the preload on the clutch pack.

The trac loc clutches will wear beyond any effective use. If ther preload will not lock the diff together with both wheels jacked up and tranny in neutral they should be replaced.

I replaced a set in my trac loc just prior to going with a Detroit. It's not a fun task, but can be done without removing the carrier. Though I don't think I would do that again. Check 4wheel hardware. $58.95

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences come from bad judgment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement