Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Old Hand

Hank is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy York AC clutch help

Long time no type....

I am the proud owner of an '88 Grand Wagoneer that is in pretty good shape mechanically - lots of torque with a cushy ride :-)

One thing has me baffled though with the AC compressor clutch. The compressor was replaced by the PO and the knee chiller was freezing me out - it worked incredibly well.

Driving down I-75 yesterday (at a leisurely 60mph with a 3speed), the air got warmer coming from the AC. Not wanting to pull over and troubleshoot I turned it off. When I got home I started troubleshooting and saw the clutch not staying engaged for a long period. Checked high side pressure and it looks great when the clutch is in. Checked voltage to the clutch while running and it was a steady 13.1vdc clutch engaged or not. Checked ground resistance to the battery and it's less than an ohm. I still sanded the compressor mounting bosses and bracket just for fun. I clamped a welding lead to the compressor body and to the battery with no change - I think the ground is ok.

So I bought a reman clutch. Borrowed a tool to remove the old one and installed the new (new gates belts also). Now I have the same issue except it works around town but get the truck up to 45mph and it starts acting the same. The clutch will drop out occasionally while idling long enough for the air to get really warm.

I'm stumped (not hard to do). The AC was awesome from May on until this week - it's not even that hot here - highs in the low 80's this week.

Any ideas?

The truck is stock except for aluminum intake, 4 barrel carb, HEI distributer: 360,727,np229, D44's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Old Hand

Ok...I just installed a second reman clutch...same issue.

Not knowing a tremendous amount about this AC setup, what is the thermo-couple looking thing on the compressor? It goes to some sort of box. Is that an overheat sensor for the compressor? Or to cycle the system?

Last edited by Hank; 07-31-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Good to see you back!

I think your system is low on freon. There's a pressure sensor that will shut the compressor off if the system is low, and I suspect it's working.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Old Hand

Thanks for the reply. I've double checked the freon - hi/low side numbers are spot on.

Where is the low pressure switch? Could it be bad?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

I can't tell you exactly where, but somewhere in the piping. Just follow all the tubing until you find a switch. Usually they have two wires.

Now that I think about it, there may be two switches; one for high head pressure and one for low low-side pressure. Or maybe one switch could do both jobs; I just don't know a whole lot about AC.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 08-01-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Old Hand

I'm not much on automotive AC either.

The air worked pretty good this afternoon. One thing that was odd though - when I parked it and shut it off there was no condensate dripping on the ground. In the past it would almost pour water out after running for just a few minutes. I wonder if there is a level switch somewhere that sees water in a drip pan like a fridge?

I guess I need to dig up a manual.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Plenty of times I've seen and heard of the drain hole getting plugged with muffus and soaking the carpet at the passenger's feet. If the AC was working but not making water your humidity must have been way down. It was 22% here a few days ago, and 30% yesterday morning. That's very low for this time of year here.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Old Hand

Makes sense...that would be too good to keep the pan from over flowing on the carpet.

I need to dig up a recording voltmeter and hook it up in a couple of places and drive the truck around and see if something is interrupting clutch voltage when it shouldn't.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM

That would work, but it might be easier to run a wire from the hot wire at the clutch to the oil pressure switch wire. That will light the O.P. warning light when the clutch is not powered. The O.P. light will work too, but you won't know which you lost - compressor clutch or oil pressure. I think. Won't take long to figure out which, though.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point

how about the switch inside the cab? don't forget they are a little complicated because often the A/C will engauge with the defrost setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.