Cold weather transmission noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Novice

Rubi04Jeep is on a distinguished road
Default Cold weather transmission noise

I have a 2004 Rubicon with the NV3550, with about 77k miles on it. We have had in the past month or two a lot of rather cold weather, and it appears if it's below 20 or so, for about 5 mins I have an intermittent whistling sound coming from the transmission. It use to start around 1800 RPM's in 2nd and 3rd gear. Then it stops after 5 mins. Then is fine for the rest of the trip. If it sits too long I have a little noise on the way home.

Is this just transmission fluid that may be low/old and needs to be changed? I am overdue, so it will be changed. It just seems like something is warming up then sounds fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

What I know about automatic transmissions is what a hog knows about Sunday, so . . .

I've never heard of that and can't imagine how low or old fluid could cause a whistling, but if you're due for a change, change it and see if it cures the problem. Are you sure it isn't a vacuum leak? There are valves on a modern engine that open and close with the temperature. You could have a hose off a valve that closes when the engine warms up.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

NV3550 is a five speed manual transmission. Some folks have adapted it to replace the T-5 in CJs.

Here's a Wiki page...

New Venture Gear 3500 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lubrication is mentioned in the article, for cold weather synthetic might be your best bet.

Dale
Old 03-30-2014, 07:07 AM
Novice

Rubi04Jeep is on a distinguished road

So, I replaced the fluid. I wound up using what the dealer had recommended/required since the place doing the change had to use a factory request. Apparently the NV3550 requires something different. From reading a lot of line people seem to get into a RoyalPurple vs Redline vs Mopar vs [insert something else] lengthy debate. I didn't have an option since the temperature was going to drop to single digits that weekend and I couldn't find the 17mm allen needed to do the swap. Will be fixed for next time.

I still get a slight sound now in cold weather. Hopefully in NoVA it's warming up.

The reason I got to the transmission was, it's only making the sound when I am between 1500-2500 RPMs in 2nd-4th gear, and only for ~5 mins.

Maybe it's clutch related? The jeep has 75k on it and it's over ten years old.

Thanks all for the input. It's always good to make sure I'm not missing the "hey it's simply this...."
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you changed the lube... It's never a bad idea.

Sometimes a grumpy throw out bearing makes some noise when cold... But you seem to have a different thing going on there... Sorry but I have no direct experience with that particular transmission. If it still shifts well that's likely a sign that nothing catastrophic is at hand.

Drive it like you stole it until something changes.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement