Damn, it's been awhile...but hello again. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Damn, it's been awhile...but hello again.

So how are things?

I haven't been on here in awhile but figured I'd stop back by to see how the site is progressing and catch up with some old friends. I didn't realize it'd been so long until I saw this:

You last visited: 11-23-2008 at 05:18 AM

Oops.

Anyway, I'm remarried to a great woman, enjoying life here in the frozen north, and still jeepless. I do have my '71 Commando SC-1 and it's still in the barn, but even that is going up for sale since we may be moving to NC in a few years and I just don't have the time to restore it.

I sold the Scrambler to some folks in NH a few years ago and they are going to restore/fix it, and I just sold the Slamurai a few months ago since it's just been sitting for years and the rust was starting to have an effect.

I now drive and repair VW TDI's (diesels) in my spare time and we have three of them, with 209,000 miles, 329,000 miles and 441,000 miles on them. Great vehicles and the engines would make for a nice CJ swap.

I also do a lot of bicycling and have 6 bikes: two fixed gears I built from scratch and ride long distances, two road bikes (including a very rare and very early titanium Merlin), a full suspension mountain bike, and a new Snowbike that I don't want to stop riding. Between that, my hiking pursuits, work, and home, there isn't a lot of time for much else.

I still live in midcoast Maine and got remarried just under two years ago, moving 10 miles to her house, inheriting her 3 (grown) daughters.

Anyway, how's life been here on the short side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Good to see you back! It has been a long time. Things are slow here, but some of the regulars still check in. Jeep God has been posting a little lately. He was AWOL for a long time too. We're starting to think about the annual Badlands Bash but haven't set a date yet. I suspect that traffic is down because those of us with old Jeeps have them pretty much figured out, and folks buying newer ones can't afford to tear into them the way we used to because of the economy and the complexity of the new ones. But what goes around will come around again. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway, good to see you back. Stop in more often. Maybe we can turn this into a hot stove league for us old farts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Jim.

Damn, I remember when I had the most posts here, looks like I'm a newby again. LEVE and I used to go back and forth on the count, not that either of us cared.

Have things changed so much across the country that Jeeping and Off-Roading has gone by the wayside? I know it's frowned upon heavily in my area so very few people go out anymore.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Well, it's not gone by the wayside, but I suspect that's it's gone way down in the last few years. The competition end seems to still be pretty strong, but the casual weekenders not so much. A dozen of us used to make ten or fifteen trips into the Mark Twain National Forest in Southern Missouri every year. We would follow old two tracks, logging roads and forest trails for miles just to see where they came out. Now most of them are closed off, grown over and gone. It would be interesting to see what the attendance at the commercial off-road parks has done. More or less than ten years ago?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JeepDawg is on a distinguished road

Now I don't feel so bad for being away......
Link to my Frame up Restore
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default me too

I think I'll say hey a bit more often as well.
I had lunch with Jeepgod last week and it made me nostalgic for the old days here.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Old Hand

sloop is an unknown quantity at this point

wow.. what a blast from the past.

I just got my password reset and logged in, to see:

Quote:
You last visited: 12-01-2006 at 04:20 AM
I pulled up my PMs and it looks like I have unread messages from 2003: Gyazo - 4c1f5b7f7e6163c5255f41c82a85053c.png

This used to be my favorite forum to check back in the day. For anyone still paying attention, I still am in Raleigh, North Carolina but not active with Jeeps. I'd like to get a CJ, Commando or Scout project in the next few years.

-mark
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM

It's great to see you both back! It's been comatose here, but not quite dead, for a long time. Come back and post from time to time, and maybe we'll see things pick up again.

We had the annual Badlands Bash a couple of weeks ago. Andy was there and said that he'd met Jeepgod at a race in California. It's a great big small world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.