Changing Quadra Trac to a dana - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM

pdh2365 is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Quadra Trac to a dana

I have a 1979 cj7 with a 304, TH 400 auto trans and the quadra Trac transfer case. The QT just went out, would like to switch to a Dana 18 or 20 case, would like to know what's involved in the switch.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll have to get an adapter from Advance or Novak. This will also mean removing the transmission and completely disassembling it to change the output shaft. You also might have to change the rear axle if you use anything other than the dana 18 to a centered differential axle.

What problem are you having with the quadratrac? Chain jumping? If so, it is a pretty easy job to replace it and be good for another 40-60k miles.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM

I'm not sure of the problem, i just replaced the chain about 1000 miles ago, i was out trail riding the other day and it made a loud popping noise, my friend who was with me who is a mechanic, said it may be the sun gear, I tried finding one on line , but no luck. I'm going to take the QT out this weekend and open it up. I've been thinking about a switch for a while, after i look at the QT if its not an easy fix, I'll probably start looking to make the change.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Official Historian

I would pull the transfer case back out and disassemble it. Fixing the problem is surely cheaper and easier than changing it out. The dana 18 adapter is $538. Do you already have a dana 18? Can you take the TH400 apart yourself? If not, add those costs.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I had thought about going that route about 10 years ago but decided to just keep the quadratrac because I like it. I swapped in a 700r4 and dana 44 axles from a quadratrac wagoneer but kept the quadratrac. I lucked into spare transfer cases and latched onto them because it is getting hard to find parts for these. If you look long enough, there are whole cases to be found for pretty cheap.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Will thanks for the info, made a call to a couple trans shops about installing the new shaft for the Dana 18 along with the conversion kit I'm hoping the fix for my QT isn't to bad. Any suggestions for places to source parts for the QT. I got my chain and gaskets thru a local 4x4 shop but thats all they had for a QT.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

JBTater is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't be of ANY USE to you at all on this issue, but thought I'd chime in just to let you know you've found a massive encyclopedia of info in Will and I don't think anyone on here would disagree that you can take his word as gospel on the QT.
He's not called the Official Historian for nothing.
Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Official Historian

About the only option for most parts is to find a spare transfer case. Here is one for $125 outside Atlanta. Crest Truck Parts USA-GA(Cartersville) 1-770-382-1595 / 1-800-424-2065. You could call them and see how much shipping would be. Car-part.com is where I found this one. There are many more cases there for you to search.

These transfer cases are pretty durable. The bearings, seals and chain for the main case are easy to find. The vacuum shifter and switch are still available. There are no advertised parts available for the low range unit. There is a chance the bearings are available but problably nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement