Front Trac bar axle mount question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Novice

Rubi04Jeep is on a distinguished road
Default Front Trac bar axle mount question

I'm trying to replace my front trac bar with an adjustable one, which is going ok. I was able to get the stock front trac off with only a minor issue. The mount where the bar meets the front axel is rather rusted (thank you new england road salt), and I'm lucky it came off. It's one of those that is buried in some housing with a tab. It rotated around until it stopped and I was able to get the bolt free. I was rather worried it would break, as seen by other people.

Since I have the bolt out, it is rather difficult to get to turn through the nut/tab combo. I'd rather replace it with something functional that I'll be able to get off in the future and not worry.

Has any had this issue before? Is it possible to just get a nut that fits it and use that? I feel like i'd be able to get part of a wrench in there to keep it steady while I torque it down to spec.

If I wind up keeping it, is there anything to do to make it easier to move? just add some anti-loc or something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Can you post a couple of pictures? I'm a solid axle guy, but may be able to help if I can see what you're up against.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Novice

Default Everything installed still some shake

So here is two pictures from the axel side mount:

My issue is, that "tab" is hard to get to. For anyone that has a similar setup, how do you brace the "tab" and nut on the inside to get it to the spec? Can I rely on just the tab pressing against the axel housing? That sounds like a great way to get it to snap.

For good measure this is the drives side mount to the body:

is this angled correctly? It doesn't look right. Given the location of the nut I am having an issue getting this to the required torque spec.

One remaining issue I am having is on the way home from getting an alignment I got some violent shaking. I believe I do not have the front trac torqued down correctly.

I am having some "clunking" when I steer, esp at low speeds like backing up and turning or three point turning. For some reason the tech seem to think this was a "failing strut mount". Yes the front shocks need to be replaced, but I didnt think something link that would make a "clunking sound".

I am hoping once I get the front trac tightened correctly all issues will be resolved. Does that make sense?

Thank you
Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

No, that TRE is not angled correctly. It should be in line with the stud. Did you install it that way, or did the alignment shop do it. Anyway, loosen the jam nut and get the end lined up properly.

Why are you having a problem getting the torque right? It looks like a socket and torque wrench should go on there OK. If you're trying to use a torque wrench with a ratcheting head and the head won't get in there you need to use an old fashioned beam type wrench with a plain square head.

The failing strut mount is a common problem with TJs. The guy at the shop should have shown you a fatigue crack or broken weld. If you can reproduce the clunk when standing still, have a buddy do that while you get under and look for the source.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Novice

Huge improvement. So apparently the "clunking" was lack of grease, all but gone with that. The axle side torqued down just fine, and eventually the body mount side did too. Just was slow going as it only had enough room for one click at a time.

Does this look better:

After getting the pins in, and taking it for a ride it's doing a lot better.

Thanks all!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM

I love a happy ending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement