Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Novice

Rubi04Jeep is on a distinguished road
Default HD Steering Kit Install Questions

All,

I decided after a lot of sloppy steering, and checking the tie rod and drag link for and finding a lot of play, it's time for a replacement. I just received a crown hd steering kit with steering stabilizer, along with a rough country adjustable front trac bar. The adjustable front trac should be fine, but, I'm struggling with the setup of the drag link and tie rod.

From all of my reading this seems somewhat straight forward. I'm just wanting to double check a few assumptions that I had to make sure I don't get this wrong.

This is currently the kit as I have it laid out:

One of my first questions is connecting the steering stabilizer to the drag link. I've seen there are a few metal spacers that may go in the center of the connection point between the stabilizer and drag link. I've attached this, picture, I'm just not sure which one to use. Since The longer one seems to want to fit and it would add some re-enforcement, i'd imagine that should go through the center. Here are the parts:

This is what the current stabilizer looks like:

Once I have that connected, one of the other questions I have is the connection point between the drag link and the tie rod. Is it as simple as removing the castle nut, inserting it through the connection point, and tightening the castle nut on the other side and securing it with a cotter pin? This is the connection as I have it setup:

If all goes well I'll follow what specs I've seen as far as what to tighten these connections to and drive it to an alignment shop. I've seen some estimates as far as how to measure the distance between the wheel and coil post on both sides. Once I have it adjusted I wanted to take it somewhere to make sure it's all lined up.

One last question. I remove these parts that seem to just be guarding the ball joints. Are they necessary?

I wish Crown had included some directions, that would have been great. Still looking online for a relevant write up. Any input would be great.

Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving!

(I think I fixed the links/images now)

Last edited by Rubi04Jeep; 11-28-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Fixed link issue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road

I can't see the pictures. Without the pictures I've got no clue on your steering stabilizer issues.

Installing the tie rod ends is as simple as tightening the nuts and inserting cotter pins.

I'm thinking the "parts guarding the ball joints" your meaning the dust boots that go between the tie rod end and where it mounts to. Yes you need them, they keep the grease in and dirt/ water out. Without them parts will wear out much quicker.

Is your alignment out currently? If it isn't just install the new parts at the same center to center measurements as the old parts and your alignment shouldn't change. If you get a tie rod replaced by a shop they will measure the old one, replace it with a new one at the same measurements as the old one and call it good with out aligning the jeep.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Novice

That is good to know about utilizing the measurements of the existing tie rod and drag link. I was going to anyway just to try and keep things the way they are. I recently added new tires, went from 245's (stock) to 265's. The alignment doesn't feel off, I just felt odd adding; new tires, trac bar, tie rod and drag link, and not having it checked out. But if it's one less thing I need to do that'll help.

Now that the pictures should load, I think there was a cheap plastic blue/black top that was added, not the form fitting rubber that surrounds the ball joint.

I think my biggest problem is the connections to the drag link itself, one for the tie rod one for the steering stabilizer. I'm probably over-thinking this, just wanted to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

The blue thing is for shipping, throw it out.

Now your pictures are huge and you can only read 1/2 the post.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Novice

Default Almost done, new pictures, smaller

So, I've got everything bolted on, I just need to set it to the correct torque spec. I do have two questions about how this looks and went together.

The first is the passenger side drag link connection. Does this look correct or do I need to adjust it? Keep in mind it's not to torque spec yet.

The second is the steering stabilizer, I believe I have it put together corrected, but wanted to make sure:

Hopefully I can get this done tonight and aligned tomorrow.

Has anyone heard anything good/bad about Pep Boys or National Tire & Battery as far as getting a basic alignment. I don't have many options on a Sunday and need to drive to work Monday if possible.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

I think everything looks fine, what are you concerned about?

Your alignment is really going to depend on the monkey working on your jeep. With the "chain stores" it's really a crap shoot with who's working there.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Novice

I am always looking for the "Hey you did that completely wrong" comment, I don't take them hard, this is a learning experience.

With that being said. I'm still having some shaking which I think is the trac bar, and some issues I'm having torquing the bolts down to spec.

One outstanding issue with the steering linkage is, I got some of the bolts down to spec on the tie rod and drag link, and in one instance, it was close to where the cotter pin slide in and it made sense. On the driver's side tie rod connection to the steering knuckle. I was close to getting the nut to spec ~70 ft/lbs and it was way past where the cotter pin hole was. Is this normal?

I'm also having an issue where the drag link and tie rod connect, I can get it torqued down to spec, but I do not have enough room yet to slide in the cotter pin. Is this correct? Doesn't seem it.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Usually the procedure is to torque to spec and then tighten further until the holes line up. A sixth of a turn more is not too much, but you don't want it looser.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Novice

Hopefully this is the last question. All seems to be back together, but, I wanted to check the alignment of this piece since I believe it was done by the alignment shop. I can fix it and take it back since it's under warranty, just figured I'd ask. It's the joint where the pitman arms connects to the drag link:

Is that angled correctly?

I also cannot get a cotter pin into the bolt right now.

The drive is a lot better than before, rather happy once this is all done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tierod draglink tracbar