2003 tl has a loud squeal after warmed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM

mudlake1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2003 tl has a loud squeal after warmed

my 2003 tj is squealing after warm. I thought it may be a vaccum leak.
Has anyone had a vaccum leak on a 2003 tj
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Everything but a diesel can and will develop a vacuum leak eventually. But "squeal" sounds more like a slipping drive belt. Vacuum leaks usually whistle or hiss. Does it get louder if you goose the gas pedal a little? A vacuum leak will go away or diminish because there's less vacuum. A drive belt will usually get louder.

If it does it constantly, one way to track it down is with a short piece of garden hose used as a stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and move the other around under the engine compartment. Just be careful to keep it away from moving parts.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM

it could be a squeal or whistle . I goes away when I press on accelerator and returns when I remove foot from accelerator. The wife hears it all the time but I hear it when it is loud.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road

How does it idle? I've trouble shot vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner around areas with potential leaks, listen for a change in idle while you are spraying it.

I'm leaning towards A belt related problem. To rule out a belt problem, pull the belt, start up the jeep and see if the squeal is gone. Don't run it for long but it should be fine to run it for 30 seconds or so to see if it's gone.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Default good vacum

I have 16 inches of vaccum. I tried the spray thing and found it would try to stall when sprayed around cyl 6 injector. I was told spinning injectors is ok. they are somewhat loose.

can a serpentine belt squeal??????

thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlake1 View Post
I have 16 inches of vaccum. I tried the spray thing and found it would try to stall when sprayed around cyl 6 injector. I was told spinning injectors is ok. they are somewhat loose.

can a serpentine belt squeal??????

thanks
Yes belts can squeal, pulleys can squeal, power steering pumps squeal, alternators squeal. I was wheeling with my buddy this weekend and his idler pulley was squealing because most of the balls in the bearing were spread around the trails of Jellico Tennessee.

Your injector has o-rings on it to seal it. It sounds like the #6 injector needs new o-rings. Make sure you use fuel safe o-rings, usually they list application specfic o-rings at the parts store for your motor. It should only be a couple bucks and take less than an hour. The other thing that could cause the staling is problems with the electrical connection to the injector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement