MD Juan Products - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM

elmerjeeper011 is on a distinguished road
Default MD Juan Products

Hi Guys,

Just want to know if any of you experienced using MD Juan made products? Just want some comments, good or bad.

Elmer Jeeper
twitter.com/mdjuanjeepparts
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Welcome to the board! The SS body on my CJ7 was made by MD Juan, and I suspect, but don't know for sure, that most of the sheetmetal you can get now comes from them regardless of who you buy from. In the past there have been gripes about CJ panels from Omix, JC Whitney and others, but it's not always clear who actually made the parts.

The body I got directly from MD Juan is mediocre in fit and finish, but that's not necessarily an indictment of their products in general; stainless doesn't form the same as carbon steel. Dies designed for carbon steel stamping can't be expected to do a good job with stainless. There is evidence of a lot of hand work after the stamping to get the parts into shape. Nevertheless the tub isn't quite square, the hood doesn't meet the fenders uniformly, the body mounts under the tub didn't match the frame horns in a couple of places, the bends at the corners aren't real sharp, and so on.

My expectation would be that any parts that come from them will be close, but maybe not exactly right. It's the kind of thing that body shops have been dealing with for years with all replacement parts not from the original manufacturer. If you buy from a reputable vendor you can send them back if they're not acceptable, but I recommend that you resolve to work with what you get, because in the long run that's what you'll have to do anyway.

You can see pictures of my Jeep on my website, but keep in mind that it's stainless, and stainless just doesn't form the same as carbon steel, so your results may vary. When I got the SS body, the original was so bad that a tennis ball would roll around and eventually find a hole to fall through, so I was very glad to finally find someone who would make a stainless body for me. The fact that it isn't quite as good as the new factory body wasn't disappointing at all. I was really glad to get it, and still am glad that I did.

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 10-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 AM

Yes Jim you're correct, we sometimes use stainless steel here in the Philippines because of the environment conditions (acid and salty). But we are continually making improvements and striving to make our repro products fit.

We also use the same equipment, mold and die for the stainless and carbon steel. We expected the results are much better on carbon steel, which we believe is much closer to the original.

And Of course we thank you for the informative comment .

Cheers,
Elmer
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps
Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Some day I may need to replace a damaged part, so I'm glad to know that you're still making the stainless steel bodies. A few years ago I had heard that you had stopped that because it was too hard on the dies.

And I'm glad to see you on this board. We get questions occasionally that you can answer, so please check in often.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Thanks again Jim_Lou. We are very happy to be a member of this forum. Fire away those questions/clarifications, we will be on the receiving end to answer .

More power!

ElmerJeeper
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps

Last edited by elmerjeeper011; 10-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Elmer, would you be able to tell me anything about the number and model of stainless steel Jeep bodies you've made, and how many have been shipped to the States? I was told that in the early '80s the California Parks Department bought three for their lifeguards to use on the beaches, but that's all I've ever heard of here. And I have pictures of one in Switzerland.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Will do. I'll check with our Database. Can I also have the picture? you can send it to elmerjeeper011@gmail.com. Its my gmail account.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
Elmer, would you be able to tell me anything about the number and model of stainless steel Jeep bodies you've made, and how many have been shipped to the States? I was told that in the early '80s the California Parks Department bought three for their lifeguards to use on the beaches, but that's all I've ever heard of here. And I have pictures of one in Switzerland.

Thanks!
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps
Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Elmer, I've sent three to you. There are a bunch of pictures on my website, bdashfab.com. I can send higher resolution of any of them, too.

I hope you survived the typhoon OK. That must have been terrible! It's been on the news here, with reports of as many as 10,000 killed. Apparently Manila was spared the worst of it, but still got hit pretty hard.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 AM

Hi Jim,

We're OK here. We are in Manila, and the battered locations was actually in Visayas Region / Province. But the typhoon was really strong and many was left without their houses, things. A really sad event.

As for the inquiries. I asked our Sales Manager about the photos and she told me they shipped CJ 7 stainless steel to Switzerland some 20 years ago but not in the US. Those were discontinued now. Will check for the documents about the full details hopefully as this was very long time ago .

Thank you for your kind concern and more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
Elmer, I've sent three to you. There are a bunch of pictures on my website, bdashfab.com. I can send higher resolution of any of them, too.

I hope you survived the typhoon OK. That must have been terrible! It's been on the news here, with reports of as many as 10,000 killed. Apparently Manila was spared the worst of it, but still got hit pretty hard.
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps
Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 AM

Hi Jim. My apologies, It took a while but I am still searching for the database with regards to your inquiry.
facebook.com/MDjuanjeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement