Pete finally does some work to the YJ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pete finally does some work to the YJ!

Hey guys,
Figured I'd post in here actually about the YJ, as I've finally done some work to it, and got it out on the trails again this year.

New gas tank. My old tank was rough.

New rear springs. Since the SOA the YJ has flexed really well, but without an anti-wrap bar I've gone through a couple of sets of stock YJ springs, even with extra main leafs, blah blah. Yes, I realize the best solution is flexy springs and an anti-wrap bar, but I found some kind of chevy truck springs at the swap meet for $40 for the pair. The official "bounce up and down on the springs" test proved they were stiffer than the stock YJ springs. So I got those put in, with some rear boom shackles. Result: Yes, I do lose some flex in the back, but the Jeep is so much more stable on acceleration and on-road.

New family roll bar. In the past I've run the bikini top, but in the rain it doesn't give much coverage and everything gets wet. So, then I've run the soft top up, but then I rub the top and frame against trees, and I've torn one top already. So I wanted the family bar and longer safari bikini. Got the bar for $40 on craigslist.

And, here she is up in Maine in the mountains last weekend. This year marks 20 years I've had the YJ, so it was a good year to get out and use it. She's doing well. If you look close you'll even see the SWB BBS decal on the drivers front fender!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family bar1.jpg (101.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg jeepmaine.jpg (99.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good, Pete. I finally got around to working on my YJ also. Tuesday I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it and put it back together. My plan is along a different line than yours though... I'm getting mine cleaned up to sell. I just don't need that many jeeps.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Will. Sounds like you've got a plan, so that's a good thing. I think I'll have the YJ forever. I've got too many good memories to let it go, and it does great just like it is.

I'd still love to build a 3B or a CJ5 though..... I just need a bigger garage.

Pete
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

That looks great, Pete! Every now and then I think about SOA for the CJ, but then I have a cocktail and the urge goes away. It's good enough for who it belongs to.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM

4wheelfan is on a distinguished road

That's a nice looking jeep! I'm planning to get a YJ next year once I'm done paying for my rig.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement