Rubber Bushings by Zerk fittings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Apprentice

Mark2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rubber Bushings by Zerk fittings?

When greasing the 7 zerk fittings around the front axle and front weels, I noticed that two of these rubber doughnuts have small holes and one is completely crushed. I am trying to find a parts diagram for these items figuring it will be easier to replace the entire rubber doughnut, bolt, nut and cotter pin. Could someone please send me a link to an easy to read part diagram and part list.

2003 Wrangler

Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you post a picture with an arrow to the part in question?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

There are two grease fittings by each from tire one reached from above and one from below. Then there are the three grease fittings on the steering. I believe those are the tie rod ends.

Both fittings by the passenger tire need to be replaced as well as the lower fitting on the driver side tire.

I should have taken a picture when my son and I had the front tire off.

That brings up the next problem. When trying to rotate the tires, the rear wheel is siezed to the axel. We tried spraying with WD40 and Liquid Wrench but no luck over the weekend. Someone said to use a crow bar but with the rear brakes there I decided to wait on that attempt. Suggestions for both the grease fittings and the rear tire are appreciated.

Having asked about lifting the Jeep nearly a decade ago and LEVE recommending that the kids learn how to drive the stick shift first it is now time to pay more attention to the underside of the Jeep beyond changing the oil and washing the dirt out of the skid plate.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jdoggmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds to me like you are describing the ball joints and rod ends for the front end. These joints do not include a "bolt". They are a ball and socket style joint. The threaded portion you can see is actually tapered and press fit into the steering knuckle, pitman arm etc.

The "donuts" you describe are in place to keep the grease in the joint and dirt and water out. Just because the rubber portion looks bad this does not necessarily indicate the joint is bad. A couple of small holes is probably not an emergency. You can find just the rubber "donuts" in the HELP section at most parts stores or maybe even by searching by vehicle application.

To get the donut off you must separate the rod end/ball joint from the item it is attached to. The easiest method of doing this is to remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut on the threaded portion until two or three threads are showing. Then take a big honkin hammer and smack the metal around the threaded shaft. After a couple of knocks the press fit will release and you can then remove the nut completely and the joint can be removed from the hole.

To check the actual joints you should probably youtube search or search on here for tips. It's easier to show someone the correct method than type it out to make sense.

As far as the rear wheel goes. I am betting you have aluminum wheels. Jack that corner of the Jeep up and brace it well with a jackstand. Then sit your but on the ground facing the wheel. Kick the tire/wheel with all you've got front and back and it should break loose.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Apprentice

Here is the picture of the grease fitting. He is pointing just above the compressed doughnut. At this moment we are waiting to work on that item.

As for the rear tire, we were able to get that off.

IMG_0891.jpg
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

That "compressed donut" is just a dust boot to keep dirt out and grease in. As long as it isn't torn, it is fine. Just pump grease into the fitting on top until that boot swells a little and that's all it needs.

You mention that yours may be torn or collapsed... you don't need to replace the whole ball joint. You can buy replacement dust boots. Here is one source:

Synergy Jeep Heavy Duty Front Ball Joint Replacement Boots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.