Heading west - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of
Default Heading west

Soon we're going west with the motorhome and probably the Jeep on a trailer. San Diego County is our first stop, then Yellowstone, and after that wherever our fancy takes us. This won't be primarily a Jeeping trip, but if anyone has suggestions for easy half-day rides I'd like to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 04:54 AM
Enthusiast

RickCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Yellowstone Natl Park area

Hello Jim,
Oh man, Yellowstone National Park area is one of my favorite places to visit. If you have been there before then you will already know some of this info.

Some parts of Yellowstone have a long hard winter, and then fall arrives early. That means that you are pretty much guaranteed to find some road construction delays.

I don't think that there is anywhere in the park that has a speed limit above 45mph. You may find some places where your motorhome engine will be gasping for more air and your maximum speed might be 30mph. Or else you will be following a motorhome that can't get above 30mph without any chance of passing. Or sitting still in a line of vehicles that are gawking at the local wildlife. So the summary of this paragraph is just don't expect to get somewhere quickly.

Are you going to spend a few days around the town of West Yellowstone? Let me rephrase that. You should spend at least a couple of days basing from West Yellowstone. Just a bit west of there is Quake Lake with a nice visitor center. If you have any interest in geology then you will need a couple of hours in that visitor center learning why the side fell off the mountain.

Do not be surprised by the night time temperatures dropping into the 30s in August. Pack several different jackets etc. so that you can dress for the variety of weather.

Jackson Hole is a neat place. If you want to spend your time in Yellowstone then don't plan on basing from Jackson Hole because it is at least an hour of driving to get into Yellowstone (see above about road work).

Now finally to get to your question. I spent a couple summers working on a ranch in that corner of Montana, but that was before I got the 4wheeling bug. I know that there are some trails that get back into the mountains, at the very least for mining and logging activity. There should be some close to West Yellowstone. To go a little farther west from West Yellowstone head over (US 287) to Ennis and then go up into the Gravely range. Just several days ago I was looking at that area in Google Earth and realized that you can go over the mountain and come down into the town of Dillon. If you are interested in fishing then this would put you into some good places (I have heard them mentioned as world class).

If you like tourist-y places then continue west from Ennis (MT 287) over the hill to Virginia City.

The west side of the Teton Mountains in Idaho is a pretty area too. It is a big valley with lots of agriculture between the mountains.

Enjoy the trip.
Rick

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just because I can afford to lose money don't mean I should do it." Charles Barkley
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thorjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to go to Moab, jeep or no. Arches NP is stunning, better than Grand Canyon! Monument Valley and Canyonlands are awesome day rides. Cheap camping RV hookups, etc and you are away from tourist season. Plus the most jeep-related stickers, and t-shirts you have ever seen. I may even meet you there!
Of course let me know if you are ever near Boise Jim!

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2

Last edited by thorjeep; 08-30-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Thanks, Rick! That's the kind of tips I'm looking for.

Last year about this time Toby and I took our Jeeps to Gunnison, Ouray and Moab. Had a great time wheeling and saw some beautiful stuff. This year I don't think we'll be back in that area, but f we do the Jeep's coming off the trailer for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement