Smoking brakes / anything else - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Novice

Rubi04Jeep is on a distinguished road
Default Smoking brakes / anything else

I noticed a significant amount of smoke from the right front of my jeep this morning, and not to long after that i felt a pull in the front end. I tried again with the brakes and I was still getting pull. So I pulled over and saw smoke coming from my front right wheel, which seem to be coming off of the rotor.

I've been having some death wobble issues which seem to have gone away with new tires. Not wanting to cause any further issues I had it towed home. After taking off the wheel I can still smell the awful smell that I believe is brakes thats smoked off.

Is there anything else on the front end that could have remotely done this? I have a good amount of rust on a lot of parts and was going to slowly replace them as funds become available. I took some pictures but really it doesn't seem to show much.

Should I just replace both front calipers and pads and call it done? Is there anything else that can cause that? I was just wondering for safety reasons if I am driving around on something that has issues.

I can post some of the pictures if it's helpful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

On a simple hydraulic brake system the only thing likely to cause that is a bad caliper - sticking and keeping pressure on the pads. If your Jeep has anti-lock brakes something in that mechanism could probably also cause that. I don't know the details of those systems. Still, I would say that a rusty, sticking caliper is almost certainly the culprit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_Lou For This Useful Post:
Rubi04Jeep (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Novice

Jim,

Thank you, I picked up some new calipers and pads, and brake hoses' today. Hopefully that does it. I replaced the rotors not to long ago (1-2 years), so I'm hoping they are still good. They look ok.

I'm also doing to change the front diff fluid, it's overdue, and cant hurt.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

JBTater is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be the unit bearings?
I had to replace both of mine and they were running hot as they got more worn.
On the TJ's they're a single assy with the hub and bearing together.
Easy to replace, but harder on the wallet.
Lift up the front and grab a tire. If you can rock it back/forth then the bearing's toast.
By "rock it" I mean as though the lug nuts were loose, only they aren't and the tire, hub, everything is rocking together.

NAPA Parts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to JBTater For This Useful Post:
Rubi04Jeep (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Novice

I did the "rock it" test, and thankfully both front sides are sturdy. Sad to say this surprises me. Too many years of living in New England have left a lot of the parts rusty.

I've decided to replace the brake line hoses that go into calipers, and once they show up I'll swap out the calipers and install new pads.

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Novice

Default Solved

Thanks all for the replies. Swapping out the calipers and brake lines seems to have fixed the issue. It seems the front right caliper was rather seized when we got it off.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Glad you got it fixed. It's not an uncommon problem in general, but a bit unusual for a relatively new vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement