Can someone grab me a quick mesasurement off of a trans or t-case please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

barrelroll is on a distinguished road
Default Can someone grab me a quick mesasurement off of a trans or t-case please

I've dug around and can't for the life of me find how big the major diameter (biggest part) of a jeep 23 spline t-case input shaft or trans output shaft is. Does anyone have a trans or t-case out that could grab a measurement? Anything with a dana 300 bolted to it or a 4.2/ 4.0 wrangler should have the right output shaft. A tape measure measurement would work, it doesn't need to be super precise. I would also be interested in buying a 23 spline dana 300 input shaft if someone has one they want to sell.

I'm looking at the possibility of making a 203/ dana 300 doubler. The advance adapters kit is super expensive ($600+), long, and over complicated. I'm thinking you could take the existing 203 output shaft, cut it down and re-spline it just after the range box output bearing to 23 spline and slip it into a dana 300 input gear, re heat treat the shaft, and build a couple adapter plates out of aluminum. I just happen to work at a place that splines shafts on a daily basis and has a couple big CNC mills to make the plates.

I have a 203 range box sitting on the bench right now and a 300 sitting in a basement 8 hours away that I'm thinking might get mated up. The more I think about it my unfinished pile of Chevy truck might turn into a full on buggy using most of the truck parts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

OlllllllOCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy there is a Dana 300 under a pile of crap in my garage.. You simply want to know the aprox. ID of the input shaft?

I can likely measure that....

Rock on Ramrod!!!!

Dale

Edit: Can't get the calipers in deep enough to measure the spline but the clearance diameter is 1.290 so I assume that it is a 1 1/4" shaft diameter.

Last edited by OlllllllOCJ; 06-23-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: measured
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Thanks that will work, now I have to go out to oven er I mean garage and see if there's enough meat on 203 output shaft to make it work. We might even have the spline profile all ready programed. I need to dig through the book of spline print.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran

bandhmo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I measured the AX-15 from my 95 yj. This uses the same 23 spline shaft as a Dana 300 so it should be representative.

Male spline Major diameter was 1.208" measured with a caliper, note not corrected for the odd number of splines. Looking at the shaft it appears that the lands on top of the splines are wider than would be spec. the shaft so this is likely a minimum diameter. The splines appear to have a 30 degree pressure angle. See picture.

Attached are a few links that may be of help. Many of these are for NP231 doublers or NP203 to Ford Dana 20 doublers, but the Ford Dana 20 is similar to the Jeep Dana 300 so they may be of some use.

Transfer Case #1 - The NP203
2transfercase
np231 doubler - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Ford Ranger Custom Dual Transfer Case
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

For information on cutting splines and typical major minor spline diameter take a look in "Machiners Handbood" it has all the formulas and dimensions need. I assume you have a copy, if not and you are still working in/ interested in machining it would be worth getting a copy. Just get the large print addition I sure wish I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3545.jpg (100.1 KB, 0 views)

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Sawzall Poster Boy

Thanks for the links. I won't have the Dana 300 down here till thanks giving to see if I can make it work.

Advance adapters sells the doubler adapter but it's big money and it converts the dana 300 to a 10 spline input which seems like a waste of $100+ for an adapter input shaft for the 300 when the stock 23 spline works just fine.

We cut splines on axle shafts daily at work so it shouldn't be a problem. Chances are there's a program all ready written for the splines I need.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

It seems that you've landed a dream job, Andy! Gopher it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement