front end repair/ upgrade? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Old Hand

jeepjunky is on a distinguished road
Default front end repair/ upgrade?

So my 05 is hitting the 120K, I have started getting death-wobble when I get close to 50mph. I plan on replacing the ball joints, unit bearings, and rod ends. That with an alignment and verifying my long arm control arms are tight I expect my death wobble to die.
I have a JKS HD adjustable track bar, a HD tie rod. Who or where can I get a HD drag link that allows me to retain the HD parts I already have. I would like a drag link that allows me to change/ replace both ends. any thoughts?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Make one. A piece of 4130 tube, a pair of bungs and a few minutes with a welder. You may have to spend a little time getting the right ends, but once it's figured out you have drag link that can be rebuilt easily and quickly with parts available at any decent parts house.

Remember, everything's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Old Hand

jeepjunky is on a distinguished road

I agree that making one would be fun. But the part that really scares me is the mount for the tie-rod... drilling through the rod or welding to it...this is my steering, If i kill my self, so be it, my family or someone else...not worth the few $$ saved...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jdoggmoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Before replacing all those things, maybe a quick check to see if they require replacing is in order?
Ball joints: Jack one side up at a time about an inch off the ground. Take the largest pry bar you can find and have someone pry up from below the tire while you watch the ball joints. You will see any excessive movement. This should also work for unit bearings, but at 105k, I agree, replace-em and if the old ones are decent, keep em as spares.
Rod ends: With the Jeep on all fours. Lay under the front end while a helper turned the wheel back and forth. I like to do this with the engine off. Again, you should be able to see any excessive wear in the ends.
It's not so much the track bar, but the mounts. Heavy duty track bars need solid, non-wallowed mounts to be effective. Check for cracks in the welds/frame/mounts and check very closely for wallowed out holes at both ends.
I'm not sure what your definition of "heavy duty" is. Is what you have is a beefy piece of tube with factory rod ends... the critical parts are not heavy duty.
Keep in mind that someone, somewhere, built all those stock and non-stock steering components you already have. At least if you build or oversee the building of a new HD draglink you can be assured that someone (you) is monitoring the "quality control" aspect of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.