Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran

OIIIIIIIO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default staying straight

Hi,

So, I got my axle swap done...just over to some stockers with a little bit higher gearing...

Anyway...I'm now all over the road in town...my last wheeling trip before I blew up the rear I somehow ripped off the sway bar mounts and for some reason I threw the bar away...

Anyway, I've been seeing mixed opinions about the effectiveness of things like sway bars and steering stabilizers...having trouble sinking $175+ into a new sway bar if there's not a consensus as to how effective they are and am having trouble finding used sway bars online...

Can a few of you chime in on the pros and cons of each and give me some suggestions on how to get some better on road manners. I currently feel uneasy driving it around in town at 25 mph and would like to be able to to make short trips in the country going 45-55 mph with it...

Thanks!
Patrick

CJ7, 258 with a 4.0 FI head, 4-sp manual tranny, wide track dana 30 amc 20 with 3.55 gears, spring under with a 3" or so spring lift and a 1" body lift

On a side note...I have some dana 44 high steer components and a currie high 9 center section for sale if anyone is interested...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue. Took mine off several years ago. It helps, but I have driven. Mine at hwy speeds without it. That said I. Am looking for one for my tj.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

When I got my CJ7 in '78 I think the sway bar was an option and came with the heavy duty suspension package. When I did the restoration almost ten years ago now I left it off. The only time I miss it is when trying to corner too darn fast on gravel roads. The one time I did that the oversteer surprised me.

Your Jeep being scary at around-town speeds may be due to some issue other than the lack of a sway bar. Although it could be that the lift makes the sway bar more of a necessity.

As for the hydraulic steering stabilizers, IMO their main function is to hide steering looseness that leads to death wobble. If that's your problem, you're better off to cure the looseness, although again, the lift may by itself make a stabilizer necessary.

You said "I'm all over the road in town" which makes me think that your problem is something unrelated to lack of sway bar or stabilizer. Could it be bump steer? Could it be loose axle U-bolts? Could it be loose spring mounts? Could it be worn shocks?

Before spending money do a good nut-and-bolt job and evaluate everything in the suspension. It may be a loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

On a leaf sprung vehicle I don't think they are all that necessary. Steering damper is just that a damper and is unnecessary. I agree with Jim if you are all over the place I would bet you have a steering system or bushing issue. Time to get under it with a pry bar and get a partner to do some inspection. I just replaced all my steering joints and box which tightened things up significantly, but it was still not stable at highway speeds. Further inspection found bad lower control arm bushings. That was on a tj.

Your leaf sprung jeep is far more forgiving than a tj but the same principals apply.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Addict

stump runner is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to check out ball joints and tie rod ends...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement