Chasing injector issues? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chasing injector issues?

Finally got the jeep problem down to one cylinder. The # 2 cyl plug shows signs of running rich. I am thinking the injector is leaking into the cylinder. The jeep doesn't want to start after sitting for a while. When it does start it stumbles and you can't touch the gas pedal for about 30 seconds. Then it clears up. Then when you run it up to 45 ish it has little or no power to speed up from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 01:38 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

It seems unlikely that a leaky injector would rob a significant amount of power at cruising speed. A leaky injector won't make much difference except at idle. Once the engine is up in the power band an additional drop or fuel won't make much difference.

A pressure gauge in the fuel rail will tell you if there's a leak. Swapping the suspect injector with its neighbor will tell you if it's bad. Have you checked compression on that cylinder?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No Jim I haven't suspected the hard parts yet. The loss of power is more like the lack of throttle response. Almost like the peddle dosent open the throttle body!

Not sure Jim, I am getting so over this. First problem I have ever encountered that I couldn't reason or test to conclusion.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I take that back, it is like the TB is opening, there is a change in sound, but no shot of fuel or not enough spark. The ignition side is all in good shape but I don't have a scope to plug into it to see if it is putting out. I am gonna check the resistance on the injectors. I am not convinced there are not two separate issues in play here.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

That was what I was thinking - a leaky injector causing loss of fuel and hard starting, but something else causing the loss of power.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Figured out the high end issue.

I put all new ignition parts on this except the coil 2 years ago right before I tore it down. diddnt help then but I diddnt have this problem at that time. Well today I thought I aint doing anything else, start over wt the distributor and work my way out. BINGO i must have missed the coil plug on the cap with dielectric greese because all the terminals looked fine except it and I never did get it looking like new. but after a cleanup it is much peppier and will go faster than I can drive it with the cacked up lower control arms on it.

So now to find some lowers with decent bushings in them, I am going to pull the fuel rail tomorrow, pressurize the system and see if any of them leak.

I may try to weld up my lowers but they are pretty crappy.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Welding control arms is pretty far down my list of cures, unless it was a cracked weld that needed repair. That I wouldn't worry about.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Got one off this morning, I could fix it but they are all over the Internet for 20 is and shipping. This one is jacked the bushing is just laying in it with enough tension on one side to keep it there. I was going to make a set, but used ones are cheaper than I can buy the steel.

I need a sway bar anyway, might try and hit the yards see what I can find.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading an article about laying a piece of tubing in the control arm and welding it along the length on both sides and at the ends. I forgot what size though. It's been a couple of years.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I remember that too Will. I think I could beat it back into shape but would still need a bushing. For the 20.00 I would save I would rather just order another take off set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement