Foers Winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2000, 09:01 PM
Addict

Dana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foers Winch

Has anybody ever seen or heard of anybody who actually has a <a href = "http://4wd.sofcom.com/Foers/Winch.html">Foers Winch</a>?

It seems like a really neat setup, with its ability to pull from either end of the vehicle, or pull from one end while paying out from the other (for slippery off-camber situations). 'Course I gaze under my CJ5 every once in a while to try to figure out how the cable could be routed without running into stuff..... and there's the issue of legroom for rear seat passengers. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I don't need to figure it out just yet as I can't afford the winch anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

The Ibex it's mounted in looks pretty neat, too.....

-Dana

**FLASH** Eveready Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2000, 10:53 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Foers Winch

Try:

http://4wd.sofcom.com/Foers/Winch.html

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2000, 08:10 PM
Addict

Dana is an unknown quantity at this point

Larry,

I know, that's the link I put in my post (the words "Foers Winch" is clickable)..... I was wondering if anybody has actually seen or used this setup.....

-Dana

The dinosours died because they didn't have a space program!

Old 06-21-2000, 09:09 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

If you look at an IBEX, the body of the IBEX is very flat on the bottom. The cable is routed through tubes, admidships to back to front. Because the vehicle is flat bottomed the cable is not riding on the tube, anywhere. It does not bind. I've been toying with this idea for 3 years and cannot come up with a good way of running the cable due to the binds that would be imposed by curves in the tubes. The only thing I can come up with is a pretty hefty tube with pulleys, or rollers, in the bends to take the curve and reduce drag on the cable. I've not the metal fabrication skills to engineer up the routing tubes. Someone like CJDave may... when he gets to Iowa in a year or so, that's one project we're going to tackle together.

Dana, like you, if anyone has come up with a workable solution, I'd love to see it.

I like the versatility of the setup.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement