Small tj lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Novice

jeeper89 is on a distinguished road
Default Small tj lift

hey all, I have a 03 Wrangler sport automatic, its a daily driver. I do not go off-road much its mostly used for hunting and around farm but every once in awhile i may go to badlands. I am wanting to lift it but not sure if i need a 4 inch lift. i have been looking at the 2" rubicon express budget lift. i guess my question is, for the money i spend is it worth it or are there better deals out there to get more lift. And is that lift a good enough lift to do some mild off road stuff. The jeep is still stock, I am just now starting to build it up, thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Bone stock your Jeep is perfectly capable of mild to moderate off road stuff. Your only real limitation is caused by your tires, and lift won't cure that. If you have Mud Terrains your good to go. All Terrains will limit you somewhat, and street tires . . . well, never mind.

There was a good thread about lifting TJs just a week ago or so. It covered some of your questions very well. Check it out, and then get back with your questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_Lou For This Useful Post:
jeeper89 (12-28-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Rio_Grande is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a sway bar disconnect and you will greatly improve your offroad ability. Worst thing I did to my jeep handling wise was change the altitude
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff, how much lift did you put on your TJ?

Benjamin Franklin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Only 3 inch right now but I have 5inch coils on the shop floor when the Clayton lift goes on. I really just want the long arms on but have to go 4 in for that. No sense in buying new springs when the 5's are sitting there without a home.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM

upalittle is on a distinguished road

If I had it to do over again I'd go with flat fenders and no lift. With this setup you can run 33" tires and don't screw up your steering geometry. This also provides a lower center of gravity. Cost is under $1K if I recall correctly. I have the TNT front flatties and GenRight rears. Both are very well made.
The Following User Says Thank You to upalittle For This Useful Post:
Raduckal (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Raduckal is an unknown quantity at this point

Humm... I like that idea.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

I like that idea too. If I had a Jeep with coil springs that's what I'd do.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

JBTater is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect timing with this post.
I'm in the process of trying to decide if I would be better served to drop my junk back down and essentially undo most of the mods I've spent so much time and money doing over the years to make it more road friendly and frankly less of just a major PITA to drive around.
Or, if I'd be better off just selling it to someone who would use it for playing offroad properly like it's built for and then just getting myself a "grocery getter" variety and slapping some AT's on it and using it like that.
I just don't see myself doing any serious offroading in the foreseeable future and I can still enjoy the top down summer rides and mild trail runs.

Hmmmmm, what to do?

As for the original poster, as mentioned above I agree with keeping it low and road worthy. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Maybe a 2" spacer lift and some 32-33" AT or MT's.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jim it is sad to say, but I am less concerned with going offroad these days and more concerned with taking the kiddies for a ride in something that is Safe. I am going to instal the Clayton and if that dosent solve my handling issues mine will go on the sale block. Worst case is mine needs so much I am. Looking a 1k pluss to get it to the decision point.

If you pull your parts let me know. I have a habit of buying other people's used parts and never putting them on anything.

Truth be told I think Tom has the right idea. Only thing I would add is the sway bar discos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.